Halloween Tutorial: 1950′s Beauty
You can’t blame us for loving Halloween—after all, it’s one of beauty’s major holidays. This year we’ve curated our inspiration and narrowed down our Halloween options to three iconic beauty looks from the past. You already saw our incredible 1920’s flapper tutorial, and now it’s time to reveal a classic look inspired by the impeccably polished ladies of the 1950’s. Don’t forget – tomorrow we are unveiling one more beauty tutorial from yesteryear and launching a Halloween giveaway so you can recreate your favorite look at home.
With the help of a few trusted Urban Decay products, professional makeup artist and hair stylist Emma Willis for Contour Fossa Makeup & Hair took us back in time to an era when the curls were more defined and the lips were redder than ever.
How To: 1950’s Makeup
1. To achieve flawless skin, apply foundation with a brush and follow with concealer under the eyes and anywhere on the face you need to bring a little light.
2. Make it matte with a dusting of Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder all over the face.
3. Pink blush from the Urban Decay Shattered Face Case delivers just the right about of flush for rosy cheeks.
5. Apply a wash of the two pale-colored eyeshadows from Urban Decay Shattered Face Case all over the eyelids.
6. Define the crease using the grey eyeshadow.
7. Line the waterline with Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Yeyo. Smudge the pencil into the inner and outer corners of the eyes.
8. Apply a few coats of Urban Decay Cannonball Ultra Waterproof Mascara. Then draw a cat eye using Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion.
9. Add a slight underwing to the bottom lash line and extend it out just beyond the outer corner of the eye.
Lips and Finishing Touches
10. No 1950’s beauty look would be complete without a classic red lip. First line the lips with Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Lip Pencil in 69. Follow with a heavy dose of Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in F-Bomb.
11. To complete the look, grab the eye pencil from the Shattered Face Case and add a beauty mark.
How To: 1950’s Hair
1. For seriously retro curls, wrap 1-inch sections of hair around a curling iron. Remove the barrel and clip curls in pace while the hair cools.
2. Repeat all around your face, until a row of curls from ear to ear has been set in place.
3. With the remaining hair in back, take small sections and roll them between two fingers. Once you’ve got your loop, take a bobby pin and pin it to your head. Repeat until all hair has been looped up and pinned in place.
4. Unclip the curls in front, and swoop hair over to one side. Secure that curl above your with a bobby pin.
Would you dress up as a 1950’s beauty for Halloween? Let us know if this decade is calling your name!
Plus, don’t miss our fabulous Halloween giveaway! We’re giving away all of the product you need to create your favorite of our Halloween beauty tutorials—click here for all the details!
Photos: Joshua M Shelton for Makeup.com
Model: Crista Funk