The beauty icon: Anne Hathaway
Her signature look: Fearless elegance. Hathaway is a distinct beauty, with her gamine neck, ivory complexion, auburn locks, gorgeous lips and expressive brown eyes. She sticks to classic hair and makeup looks, but constantly changes it up, opting for a pretty petal lip, expressive false lashes and choppy pixie locks for one occasion and striking lacquered red lips, arched brows and slick strands for another.
Her style legacy: Know when it’s showtime. Hathaway's off-camera look may be unassuming and low-key, but her on-camera look is total movie star. On the red carpet, for press appearances and in editorial, she pulls out all the stops and has confidence in spades. The more daring the gown, the more self-assuredly Hathaway wears it.
Her "it" moment: Her leading role in The Devil Wears Prada. Some may argue Hathaway’s "it" moment was her breakout role as the star of The Princess Diaries in 2001. While it put her in the big leagues, especially among a younger demographic, The Devil Wears Prada (released in 2006) cemented her there. It showed Hathaway could both carry a film, even acting beside Meryl Streep, and emerge as an unexpected style icon. In 2011 she cohosted the 83rd Annual Academy Awards with eight wardrobe changes from top fashion designers, including Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta, Tom Ford and Versace.
Her now moment: The press tour for Les Misérables, which opens Christmas day in the United States. Showing off a short pixie cut and a lithe figure, Hathaway is currently somewhere between looking like her character Fantine, which required a dramatic physical transformation, and looking like herself as we’ve become accustomed to seeing her. For recent TV appearances, Hathaway has worn simple sheath dresses paired with timeless beauty looks, channeling Audrey Hepburn. But for the New York premiere of Les Mis, Hathaway rocked an avant-garde high-fashion Tom Ford gown with the designer's knee-high, cutout, gladiator-style booties. While the ensemble evoked mixed reactions, it served as further proof that Hathaway takes bold risks in film, fashion and life.
Her beauty booty:
- To create Hathaway’s perfect porcelain skin, the first step is related to skin care. Start with Lancôme Génifique Cream Serum as a targeted serum/moisturizer/primer trio.
- Then apply a semi-matte foundation that perfectly matches the skin on your face to the skin on your body. Look at the color on your jawline and also on your chest for a seamless effect. This step is particularly important when being photographed in strapless formalwear. Try: L’Oréal Paris True Match Super Blendable Makeup.
- For her natural, flushed glow, softly swirl Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush in Rose Bronze on the apples of your cheeks.
- Hathaway's complexion is often matte. Eliminate shine and set your face with a light dusting of Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder.
- Anchor your look with strong, structured brows à la Hathaway using Eliza’s Eyes Chunky Filler eyebrow pencil.
- Create her neutral smoky eye using all four of the shades in the Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Eyeshadow Quad in Boudoir on your lash lines, creases, lids and brow bones.
- Along the upper and lower lash lines, rim and then smudge them with Lancôme Le Crayon Khôl in Black Ebony or Black Coffee.
- Mimic her feathered lashes by coating them in YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils Shocking Mascara.
- Finally paint your lips with YSL Rouge Pur Couture Vernis à Lèvres Glossy Stain in Brun Cachemire for a pretty pout or Rouge Gouache for a power pout.
Straight from her lips: "I look my best after an entire hair and makeup team has spent hours perfecting me. When do I feel my best? When I haven't looked in a mirror for days, and I'm doing things that make me happy."
Photo: Getty Images