Traditionally spring is a season marked by floral prints and pastels, however this year it’s all about bold stripes. From Michael Kors and Marc Jacobs to Oscar de la Renta, look-at-me lines were a key trend for this season’s fashions. But did you know that stripes made an equally important statement in the manicure scene as well? During Spring 2013 Fashion Week we spotted spangled nails everywhere from Phillip Lim to Monika Chiang and we are excited to show you how to get the look in just a few simple steps…
- light nail polish
- dark nail polish
- top coat + base coat
- Prep nails by applying a base coat. We like essie first base coat.
- Apply a base color and allow it to dry completely. We used essie go ginza.
- Pick an accent color. In light of the emerald trend, we picked a metallic shade called Intense Teal from the new Maybelline Limited Edition Color Show Nail Lacquer collection.
- Place the tape. Using two small pieces of tape, create a line at the center of your nail leaving only a sliver of the original coat of polish exposed (as pictured above).
- Apply accent color. Once the tape has been firmly placed, brush on your accent color.
- Remove tape.Right after you apply the accent color, carefully (and slowly) remove the tape pieces and repeat the steps listed above.
- Finish off with a top coat. We love essie no chips ahead top coat.
Are you going to give this manicure a try? If you do, snap a photo on Instagram and add the hashtag #MDCmani for a chance to be featured on the Makeup.com Facebook page!