Mascara is the LBD of makeup: elegant, appropriate, and accessible. But let’s face it, we’re all over-enthralled with the basic black variety. Sure, it gets the job done, but what if I told you that swapping out that jet black for a different shade would make a world of difference to your look?
We aren’t talking teal—not yet, at least—but other vivid hues that will intensify your baby blues (and greens and browns). Tinted mascaras don’t scream color; they actually aren’t immediately noticeable until you angle your head a certain way and lashes catch the light. When brushed over the top and bottom lashes, tinted mascaras are a quick and easy way to make eyes pop. With hues that range from the prim to the pronounced, there’s a shade to suit everyone.
If you're easing into it, try these colors.
- Purple: Burgundy, aubergine, and eggplant—all these shades are especially beguiling on blue, green, and hazel eyes. Try Benefit BADgal Plum Mascara.
- Grey: A great match for dark and light eyes alike. Try YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils Shocking in N2.
If you're ready to walk on the wild side, opt for these options.
- Blue: An amazing contrast for brown-eyed girls. Try Dior DiorShow in Azure Blue.
- Green: This one sounds weirder than it is, but the shade picks up the flecks in hazel eyes and plays up browns. Try Makeup Forever Smoky Lash in Green.
If you want to go all out, try these daring hues.
- Metallics: Best when brushed over the tips of the lashes for a festive night time look. Try L’Oréal Double Extend mascara in Black Bronze, Black Copper, or Black Quartz.
- Glitter: Glam with a capital G. Use it on its own, or on top of another color. Try Hard Candy Lash Tinsel in Disco Ball or UFO.
Would you wear colored mascara?
Photo credit: Getty Images