In a red gown and pearls, Zooey Deschanel once again charmed the crowd with her classic yet edgy look at the 70th Golden Globe Awards. The edgy touch in her outfit? Her nails, painted by celebrity manicurist Tom Bachik. As she did at the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards wearing television nail art accented with Swarovski crystals, she paid homage to the movie industry at this event by embellishing her tips with adorable film strips. “Vintage movie camera silhouettes with flowing golden film strips were the perfect choice for this year’s Globes,” Bachik says. Here is his guide to creating Deschanel's nails at home.
What you need:
- Cuticle cream. Try: Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream.
- Base coat. Try: Dazzle Dry Base Coat.
- Buttery yellow nail polish. Try: L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail in Cream Puffs.
- Nail art pen in black. Try: Sally Hansen Nail Art Pen in Black.
- Gold nail polish. Try: L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail in Because You’re Worth It.
- Small dotter or toothpick.
- Black nail polish. Try: Essie Nail Polish in Licorice.
- Top coat. Try: Deborah Lippmann On a Clear Day Ultra-Glossy Top Coat.
How to do it:
Step 1: On clean, buffed nails, apply the cuticle cream to make sure tips are nicely prepped for the nail lacquer.
Step 2: Apply the base coat.
Step 3: Apply two coats of the buttery yellow polish, which Bachik says “played perfectly off the pearls” that Deschanel wore.
Step 4: Using the nail art pen, pick two nails on which you'd like to paint the film strip. Silhouette the film strip's wavy shape with the pen. Then fill in the shape with the gold polish. Let your nails dry. To apply the details, use your nail art pen to bisect the gold interior with one or two black lines to mimic frames. Then take a small dotter or toothpick, dip it into the buttery yellow polish and place evenly spaced dots along the edges of the film strip.
Step 5: For the camera-detailed nail, try your hand at painting an actual film camera, as Bachik did for Deschanel. (A stencil can also help guide you.) Fill in the black with the black nail lacquer. Let your nails dry completely.
Step 6: Seal the design with the top coat.
Photo: Getty Images