The pale blue Reem Acra gown Zooey Deschanel wore to the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards was charming, but the real showstopper (for us, at least) was her unique nail art. In tribute to the ceremony itself, she displayed sparkly televisions created by manicurist Tom Bachik on her tips. The actress liked the look so much that she even tweeted a picture of it last night, coupled with the shout-out: "Televisions on my thumbnails by Tom Bachik for the Emmys!" Here is how you can create this small-screen tribute at home.
What you need:
- Cotton pads or wool.
- Nail polish remover.
- Nongreasy cuticle cream. Try: The Body Shop Almond Nail Oil & Cuticle Oil.
- Yellow nail polish. Try: L’Oréal Colour Riche Nail in Tweet Me.
- Sheer peach nail polish. Try: L'Oréal Colour Riche Nail in Sweet Nothings.
- Silver glitter nail polish. Try: Zoya Nail Polish in Luna.
- Top coat. Try: Essie No Chips Ahead Chip Free Top Coat.
- Swarovski crystals.
- Nail art pens. Try: Sally Hansen Nail Art Pens in Black and Gold.
How to do it:
Step 1: Using cotton pads or wool, wipe your nails clean using nail polish remover. Prep your tips using the nongreasy cuticle cream.
Step 2: Apply a thin coat of the yellow polish to each nail, followed by a coat of the sheer peach polish to soften the tone.
Step 3: Dab the silver glitter polish in the middle of the thumbnails only. Fade the glitter out by applying the clear top coat immediately over the glitter, using the brush to soften its intensity through repeated strokes.
Step 4: Using the top coat as glue, apply Swarovski crystals in the glitter areas to create the effect of a static television screen.
Step 5: Paint the television box using the nail art pens.
Step 6: Let the nail art dry completely. Seal the design with the clear top coat.
Would you try Zooey Deschanel's Emmy nails?
Photo: Courtesy of Zooey Deschanel