Get Pretty for Apres-Beach
Did you know that beach bars are some of my favorite places on the planet? I mean that. It’s partially because, you know, there are flip-flops, Coronas and sunsets. But it’s also because a day of sun, sand and salt water leaves me feeling flat-out gorgeous.
You usually feel like a disheveled and windblown lobster by the time Happy Hour rolls around?
But with some quick little fixes, you can go straight from the beach to the bar looking like the sun goddess you are.
- If possible, rinse your face and hair in fresh water.
- Brush through your damp hair and create a deep side part. Apply a frizz-fighting balm. I love Dove’s Damage Therapy Nourishing Oil Care Leave-In Smoothing Cream. Then twist your locks into a low bun at the nape of your neck, and secure with a bobby pin. Later on in the evening, you can unpin your hair and you’ll have loose, beachy waves!
- It is super important to replenish your sun-sapped skin with a light, nongreasy moisturizer, such as Simple Hydrating Light Moisturizer.
- Skip heavy face makeup. Instead apply Laura Mercier Undercover Pot or MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation only where absolutely needed.
- If you’re religious about SPF (as you should be) and you still want that après-beach glow, swipe a little bronzer (try Orlane Bronzing Pressed Powder Soleil Cuivre) across your forehead, the bridge of your nose and your cheekbones.
- After a day in the sand, a metallic smoky eye is sexy (click here for my tutorial). Apply a shimmery gold shadow, such as L’Oréal Paris Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadow in Eternal Sunshine, all over your lids. Then rim your eyes with a chunky golden brown pencil, like the Sue Devitt Eye Intensifier Pencil in Golden Triangle.
- Finish with a neutral-pink lip gloss, like NARS Lip Gloss in Turkish Delight.
Products (clockwise from upper left): Malika towel by MissoniHome, Sunglasses by Chloé, Laura Mercier Undercover Pot, Hidden Mint Glitter Sandals by Top Shop, L’Oréal Paris Infallible 24 HR Eye Shadow in Eternal Sunshine, Coral Starfish Brooch Necklace by Kenneth Jay Lane, Corona Extra, Escape Orange Multicolor Printed Silk Chiffon Caftan by Matthew Williamson, The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner, Simple Hydrating Light Moisturizer.