When it comes to planning your own wedding, the list of things beyond your control is infinite. You can plan all you want, but at the end of your special day, you can’t keep that rainstorm from rolling in. It won’t be your fault if the DJ blows a tire on his way to your reception. And you certainly can’t help it if your cranky Aunt Jane really despises your second cousin twice removed. Oh, we’re sorry — are we about to give you an anxiety attack? Take a deep breath. One thing you can control is your hairstyle, and we’ll tell you how.
This pretty side bun adds a little bit of whimsy without a lot of effort. The same probably can’t be said for your fancy centerpieces. Once you’ve practiced a few times, you’ll have this ’do down. You won’t need anyone else to help, and you’ll look amazing. Regardless of how many glasses of champagne Aunt Jane threw at Cousin Bob while dancing to Pandora in the rain.
1. Start with a side part. Then section off your hair at the base of your crown and hold it upward, sprinkling texturizing powder, like L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip Texturizing Powder, at the roots.
2. Pull the hair around to the side opposite your part, smooth it out with a paddle brush and secure on the side of the nape of your neck with a clear elastic.
3. Divide your ponytail into three strands and braid loosely. Pinch the end tightly with one hand while spraying hairspray to the tips with the other.
4. Without letting go of the end of the braid, wind it loosely around the elastic. You may need to use one hand to support the weight of the bun and hold it in place. Tuck the end of the braid into the bun and secure with bobby pins.
5. Tuck in any loose pieces and spray with a strong hairspray such as Enjoy Professional Hair Care Super Hold Hair Spray.
Non-brides, would you wear this look, too? Let us know in the comments below!
Hair and Makeup: Tara Shakespeare for Contour Fossa
Photos: Joshua M Shelton Photography