Is it just us or is colored eyeliner really having a moment right now? As color crazed makeup enthusiasts and firm believers that color is totally wearable, we are more than onboard with the trend. We asked LA-based makeup artist Elyse Reneau to give our traditional winged eyeliner a good punch of pigment and she did. Proof two wings are better than one:
What color will your double winged eyeliner be? Let us with a comment below.
- Prime. Any time you’re going for a bold look, the hope is not to find it smeared across your face later. Prepping with an eye shadow base, like the L’Oréal De-Crease Eye Shadow Base used here, will ensure your eyeliner stays on your eyes.
- Create a base. A bright base will make the color pop. Reneau lined the eyes with NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk.
- Fill in with color. Top the white base with the color of your choice. Using a stiff, flat brush, Reneau pressed a high pigment purple shadow onto the white base line. Try Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Fishnet or Make Up For Ever Eyeshadow in Lavender 9. (Quick Tip: You can make your wing as thick or thin as you want it. It’s easier to start small and build up than it is to remove.)
- Add another wing. Staying close to the lash line, go over the colored wing with black eyeliner. Reneau used Inglot Cosmetics AMC Eyeliner Gel, but if you prefer to work with liquid, that will work too.
- Lash out. Curl eyelashes and finish with a few coats of your favorite black mascara. Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes (and a little help from a set of falsies) delivered these full, flirty lashes.
Photos: Dan Wolner for Makeup.com
Model: Maria Speranza