While the makeup-melting months of summer are over (bittersweet, right?), autumn happens to bring along a few beauty complications of its own. And your routine has got to be able to keep up with the weather changes and noteworthy trends! So, to keep your look on-point through fall, we’ve put together our top five favorite beauty hacks, tips, tricks and essential products that will help you survive the season.
1. Stock Up On Moisturizing Masks: And we’re talking about both your hair and skin here! Inject your scorched, post-summer locks with plenty of moisture by using weekly hydrating masks and treatments. This season is all about rich, dimensional hair color and frizzy locks won’t do your strands justice!
We’ve all experienced uncomfortably dry, itchy skin caused by fall and winter winds. Remember, flaky skin means flaky makeup — no one wants that! Let your oil-absorbing, clay-based masks go into hibernation for the next few months and opt for an ultra-nourishing counterpart. A smooth and moisturized canvas means flawless-looking makeup application.
Product Recommendations: Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Overnight Hydrating Masque, SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Masque, Vichy Aqualia Thermal Night Spa
RELATED: How to Wear Makeup With Dry Skin
2. Exfoliate Lips to Prep for Bold Colors: While your classic nude shades continue to stay on-trend, fall is most notably a time for burgundy, maroon, dark berry and oxblood lipsticks. Since these bold hues bring so much attention to your pout, be sure to give your lips a little TLC before you swipe a lip color on! Try a DIY sugar scrub, this spoolie trick, toothbrush hack or an exfoliating lip product like The Body Shop Lip Scuff for soft, smooth and nourished lips!
3. Muted-Matte Makeup is Back: Matte makeup has once again resurfaced, but with a twist! You can still achieve the same, all-matte look without muting your natural glow by sticking with foundations and powders that have a translucent finish. They’ll still embrace the matte spirit, without making your complexion look flat!
4. Embrace Oil, Your New BFF: You can moisturize with it, use it in your hair — heck, you can coat your body in it! There’s no cure like an oil-infused miracle to fight flaky fall skin or fried hair. Enriched with antioxidants and essential fatty acids, oils have the ability to calm sensitized skin instantly. Gently apply your favorite blend to skin for dryness relief or through the ends of your hair to smooth split ends and frizz. You can also mix it in with your favorite body moisturizer and apply it all over for silky soft skin!
5. Make a Statement with Your Brows: No fall makeup look is complete without bold brows. Actually, if you’re running late because it was too hard to get out from underneath the warm covers, brows should still be your No.1 one priority — even if it’s the only thing you have time for! Embrace full brows with this secret trick, and if you’ve already over-plucked, we’ve got just the tips for growing them out the right way.
Need more beauty advice? Check out our other makeup tips and tutorials!
About the Author: Diana creates on-trend beauty content for Makeup.com readers. She stays up-to-date on the latest beauty news and product launches and tests every makeup item that comes through the door. As an employee of L’Oréal, Diana writes stories about beauty products across the entire brand portfolio.