The summer months are a beauty bonanza. By the time the season comes to a close, you've fully embraced a lighter makeup look, your cheeks have a pretty flush of color and all those outdoor activities have given you a health boost to boot.
But summer isn’t all fun and games. Those long hours of lovely warm weather can also leave you a little baked and a lot in need of extra TLC. Freshen up your face, body and hair during August with these steps for transitioning into fall.
With the arrival of cooler weather comes richer makeup tones, and it’s nice to reinvigorate your face to greet all this fall fabulousness.
- If you’ve been lax about exfoliating over the past few months, now is the time to start. Try a scrub, such as StriVectin-SD Instant Retexturizing Scrub, or invest in a rotating cleansing brush, like the Clarisonic (believe the hype; this thing is amazing).
- Splurge on a professional brow reshaping. You’ll want a gorgeous frame for the season's jewel-toned eye shadows. YSL Pure Chromatics Wet and Dry Eye Shadow offers intensely saturated shades.
- Try on a makeup makeover for size. It’s not yet time to abandon your summery sheers, but swap in some slightly deeper shades—a blackberry gloss instead of a watermelon one (try L'Oréal Colour Riche Gloss in Rich Plum) or a deep rose-gold blush instead of a bright pink one—to give a nod toward autumn.
Hair really bears the brunt of the summer’s stresses; sun, saltwater and pool chlorine can do a major number on your locks. The seasonal switchover is the perfect opportunity to put in a little extra effort toward caring for your tresses. It will pay off in the long run.
- Focus on nourishment and repair. Pick up a deep-conditioning treatment, such as Dove Intensive Repair Conditioner.
- Fall is such a fun time to try out a new hairstyle. Maybe give long, '70s-style bangs a go. If you like a subtler effect, lowlights are always a great way to get a luxe look.
- You know what’s nice? A professional blowout. Visit your local salon or drop by one of the new Drybars that have popped up around New York City. This little splurge is a great way to take advantage of the drop in humidity that arrives along with cooler weather.
Shed all those rough layers and get glowing with a body scrub. A fantastic all-in-one scrub is Kiehl's Milk Honey & Almond Scrub. Or go ahead and make one with your very own two hands.
To create a scrub, you need:
Here are a few recipes:
- Something that exfoliates, such as sugar or coarse salt.
- Something that moisturizes, such as grapeseed oil, olive oil or vitamin E oil.
- Something that smells lovely, such as a few drops of rose essential oil or a pinch of citrus zest.
How do you get prepped for fall beauty?
- White sugar/grapeseed oil/lemon zest.
- Brown sugar/coconut oil/vanilla extract.
- Coarse salt/olive oil/coffee grounds.
- White sugar/vitamin oil/rose essential oil.
Photo: Getty Images