This edgy ponytail has been popping up on red carpets, and it’s no wonder: “It’s a great way to make a simple ponytail look dressed-up, is flattering to most face shapes, and really easy to achieve,” says Matrix Artistic Director Ammon Carver, whose celebrity client roster includes A-listers like Kate Beckinsale and Molly Sims.
Want to pump up the volume on your own ponytail? Here’s how.
- Step 1: Gather a triangle-shaped section of your hair starting at the front of your hairline (use the outer corner of your eyes as a reference point for the width) and ending at your crown. Clip this piece of hair out of the way.
- Step 2: Pull the remaining hair back into a simple, smooth ponytail that sits just above your occipital bone (the little bump in the back of your head), and secure with an elastic. Use a flexible spray like Total Results Amplify Hairspray by Matrix to hold hair in place as you work.
- Step 3: Release the clipped section of hair and sprinkle a texture powder like Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Volumizing and Texturizing Powder on the top layer. Using a fine-toothed comb, back-comb small sections until you are satisfied with the volume. Tip: Tease the bottom layer of hair for more oomph.
- Step 4: Gently smooth the top section of hair directly back and over the ponytail, and secure with bobby pins.
How do you like to dress up your ponytail?
- Step 5: For the finishing touch, take a small piece of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the base, covering the elastic and bobby pins. Set the style with a strong hairspray like Garnier Fructis Style Full Control Hairspray.
Image Credit: LOS ANGELES, CA - FEBRUARY 12: Actress Kate Beckinsale arrives at the 54th Annual GRAMMY Awards held at Staples Center on February 12, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)