Curly haired girls like Halle Berry, Kelly Rowland, and Brandi are suddenly embracing their funky spirals, just in time for summer when all the humidity makes it a losing battle to fight hair into straight submission.
“The trick to this look is to create the curl pattern while hair is damp, and let locks dry naturally or with a diffuser set to low heat,” explains Morgan Willhite, creative director at Ouidad, the go-to salon for perfectly defined curls. Follow these easy steps to master Ouidad's trademarked "rake & shake" styling technique for bouncy, youthful waves.
- Step 1: Gently squeeze excess water out of wet hair and blot with a towel to pull out additional moisture.
- Step 2: Using outstretched fingers or a comb, add a leave-in conditioning spray such as Ouidad Botanical Boost to seal in moisture.
- Step 3: Divide hair into 4 to 6 sections.
- Step 4: Dispense a nickel-sized dollop of a frizz-fighting styling product like Philip Kingsley Curl Activator to palms and rub hands together. Working one section at a time, separate fingers on one hand like a rake and then rake the section from scalp to ends, spreading the styling gel throughout the section.
- Step 5: When you reach each end, gently shake hair back and forth to create a natural curl. Let go of the section and allow hair to fall.
- Step 6: Repeat the above steps for all sections using a dollop of styling product for each.
What are your secrets for making curly hair look great in the humidity?
- Step 7: Diffuse hair or let it dry naturally.
Photo by Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images