How to Create Halle Berry’s Spiral Curls
Curly haired girls like Halle Berry, Kelly Rowland, and Brandi are suddenly embracing their funky spirals, just in time for summer when all the humidity makes it a losing battle to fight hair into straight submission.
“The trick to this look is to create the curl pattern while hair is damp, and let locks dry naturally or with a diffuser set to low heat,” explains Morgan Willhite, creative director at Ouidad, the go-to salon for perfectly defined curls. Follow these easy steps to master Ouidad’s trademarked “rake & shake” styling technique for bouncy, youthful waves.
- Step 1: Gently squeeze excess water out of wet hair and blot with a towel to pull out additional moisture.
- Step 2: Using outstretched fingers or a comb, add a leave-in conditioning spray such as Ouidad Botanical Boost to seal in moisture.
- Step 3: Divide hair into 4 to 6 sections.
- Step 4: Dispense a nickel-sized dollop of a frizz-fighting styling product like Philip Kingsley Curl Activator to palms and rub hands together. Working one section at a time, separate fingers on one hand like a rake and then rake the section from scalp to ends, spreading the styling gel throughout the section.
- Step 5: When you reach each end, gently shake hair back and forth to create a natural curl. Let go of the section and allow hair to fall.
- Step 6: Repeat the above steps for all sections using a dollop of styling product for each.
- Step 7: Diffuse hair or let it dry naturally.
What are your secrets for making curly hair look great in the humidity?
Photo by Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images