If the word “mousse” immediately makes you think of crunchy, stiff hair from the ’80s, think again. Mousse is back with a vengeance (against bad hair), and this time it comes in different formulations, depending on your hair type. We’ve got five reasons for you to add this classic styling product back into your beauty routine.
1. Give your hair volume. Fine hair and layered hair can benefit from mousse in a major way. Add a dollop of Redken Full Frame 07 - Protective Volumize Mousse to damp, towel-dried hair before styling it with a blow dryer. It’ll add tons of volume while leaving your locks soft — and not at all crunchy.
2. Add thickness to tresses. If you have thin hair, the right mousse can give your look a boost of fullness and amplify its thickness. A good thickening agent like Living Proof Full Thickening Mousse revives flat hair and gives it much-needed volume and texture.
3. Define and hold curls. Tame wild curls with Garnier Fructis Style Curl Construct Mousse. This stuff contains micro-wax, which helps give your curls definition and hold while keeping frizz at bay. If you plan to apply heat to those curls, another good option is L’Oréal Advanced Hairstyle Curve It Elastic Curl Mousse.
4. Protect your hair while heat styling. Speaking of heat: Use mousse before you start styling to add body to your look while protecting it from heat damage. Kérastase Mousse Bouffante has UV and heat protection built into it, so work a golf-ball-sized amount of this into your hair before using a blow dryer, curling iron or straightener.
5. Create style while keeping hair weightless. Adding one more product to your morning regimen doesn’t mean you have to weigh your hair down. Go with a cream-mousse like Redken Aerate 08 - All Over Bodifying Cream Mousse to add moisture while creating hold. This hybrid keeps your style light and weightless while adding volume and texture. If you have color-treated hair, this could be the right mousse pick for you.
What’s your favorite mousse? Share it with us in the comments!