How to Save Your Skin This Thanksgiving
Yup. It’s all over. After hours and hours of shopping, chopping and preparation, we give thanks for a meal that lasts what seems to be a millisecond of how long it takes to cook. For most of us, Thanksgiving entails at LEAST three trips to the buffet.
Waking up feeling like a stuffed turkey that Friday is not fun. Neither is looking in the mirror and seeing a couple of uninvited guests on your face that came home with you that night. And on top of all that, the lack of sleep and four glasses of red wine can really take a toll.
Well, don’t fear my beauties! One day of jolly and jelly won’t wreak havoc on your skin. Here are some tips for how to prep your skin before Turkey Day and tricks for how to recharge the morning after.
1. Cleanse: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: washing your skin thoroughly is a key component to great skin. I am a firm believer in washing your skin twice—once to get all the makeup, dirt and oil off and then a second time to actually cleanse the skin. If you have a Clarisonic, I highly suggest you clean your skin first, then go in with the Clarisonic for a deeper cleanse.
2. Over-Moisturize Your Skin: Yes, you read that right. It is imperative that your skin is over-moisturized because of all the salt, alcohol and sugar you will be consuming on Turkey day. I highly recommend using a facial mask that hydrates the skin and also removes impurities, oil and dirt from your pores. Don’t be surprised if your family and friends comment on your T-Day glow!
3. Hydrate Your Eyes: If you don’t use an eye cream, now is the time to start. The skin underneath your eye is the thinnest so it is imperative to keep it hydrated to keep crowsfeet at bay. When the skin underneath your eye is dehydrated, fine lines and wrinkles become evident (and who wants that?).
The Morning After
1. Cleanse: Hopefully you made sure to wash your face before you went to bed. If you did not, make sure you do before you do anything else. Not to sound redundant but make sure you wash your face twice to ensure you start the day with a clean canvas.
2. Exfoliate: Getting rid of that top layer of skin will do wonders for your post TDay glow! Make sure to choose products that contain sugar and fruit enzymes–these ingredients clean deeper into the dermis, decongest pores and remove dead skin cells to reveal a radiant complexion.
3. Use a Toner: I always recommend using a toner at least three times a week but in this instance, using a toner after a long night is especially important because it is at this step that you can catch any lingering dirt or oil particles that may still be on your face. Toner not only adds hydration but also tightens and firms your skin, giving it a healthy glow. When using a toner, soak a cotton ball and apply in circular motions on your skin and allow to dry before you apply a hydrating serum and moisturizer.
4. Reach for a Heavy Duty Serum and Moisturizer: It is at this step that women tend to forget a major component to their skincare routine—a serum. Serums can really add that extra boost to your skin in a relatively short period of time. A face serum is able to penetrate deeper into all three layers of your skin because it is made of smaller molecules than that of moisturizer. A moisturizer, on the other hand, contains larger molecules and sits on top of the skin, increasing the hydration of external skin layers, sealing everything in and ultimately, making your skin soft and supple.
5. Give Your Skin a Break: If you don’t have to wear makeup post T-Day, then don’t! Give your skin a break. If you must put something on your skin (heaven forbid you have to run errands makeup-free), then choose a primer with some light reflecting particles for a healthy glow. Add a touch of cream blush, curl your lashes and swipe on some tinted lip gloss.
With these tips, no one will ever be able to tell that you took two pieces of pie. Oh, and ice cream. Don’t worry, beauties, your secret is safe with me!
Do you have any skincare topics you’d like me to address in an upcoming article? Let me know below with a comment!