Is Your Mascara the One For You?
A great mascara is the easiest and best way to enhance your eyes. But with so many products on the market, how do you know which to choose? The key is finding a formula that meets your needs.
Here are my favorites.
For long and lean lashes
If you want defined, yet natural-looking eyelashes, choose a lengthening mascara. Thin and short bristle wands make it easy to apply light layers that add dimension and length while avoiding clumps.
- Try: Lancome Definicils Mascara, Rimmel’s Extra Super Lash Mascara
- Tip: Press the wand into the lash root and wiggle up toward tip to evenly distribute product.
For full-bodied flare
Whether adding drama or plumping up sparse lashes, opt for thickening mascara. The longer, denser bristles will distribute more product while the thicker formula adds body and volume.
- Try: Dior Show Thickening Mascara, L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara
- Tip: Brush through wet lashes with lash comb to minimize clumping.
For smudge-free smolder
Eye shape, rubbing, and humidity can all contribute to smudging. For smear-free lashes, try tube formula mascara. Instead of using a mix of oil and wax like most products, tubing mascara uses an acrylic copolymer that binds together as it dries, forming a rubbery cocoon around each lash.
- Try: L’Oreal Double Extend Tubing Mascara, Fiberwig Mascara
- Tip: Stick to one coat. You can’t reapply the formula or comb through lashes once the first coat is dry.
For waterproof devotees
If tears, sweat or water are in the forecast, choose a lengthening or thickening waterproof formula.
- Try: MAC Splashproof Mascara, Maybelline Define-a-Lash Lengthening Mascara
- Tip: To remove mistakes from your skin, lightly blot the area with a tissue—don’t rub.
For multitasking magic
These are the formulas that do a little bit of everything, and are perfect for everyday wear.
- Try: Benefit’s They’re Real! Mascara, Bobbi Brown Everything Mascara
- Tip: To avoid clumping, wipe excess mascara off wand.
What is your favorite mascara?