Kiss & Makeup: 5 Expert Tips for Flawless Lips
Hi everyone, this is New York-based freelance makeup artist Ashley Rebecca and today I am going to share some of my best tips for creating a flawless lip…
One of the most common conversations I have with clients is about lipstick. Every woman who has ever sought out to purchase cosmetics knows the power and excitement that a new lip color can provide: It is an inexpensive, cheap thrill that can brighten any rainy day or lift any melancholy mood.
Lipsticks come in all shades, textures, pigments, finishes, and formulas. So how do you know what is best for you? With so many brands and colors to choose from, here are 5 simple tips for flawless lips:
1. Create a visual. See a lip color you like or want to try in a magazine? Rip the photo right out and keep it in your purse. That way when you are shopping for new lipstick you can have photos easily accessible.
2. Play with the finish. You really don’t know what you prefer until you try it. Test sheer textures all the way to matte finishes. See what feels best on your lips and find what would be most comparable to your daily makeup routine.
3. Experiment with color. Always wanted to try a red lipstick? Look at a few different shades of red from blue undertones to orange undertones. Find what looks best with your skin tone and the level of color you are most comfortable with. The same goes for all shades when looking for the right tone, from pinks, to berries and mauves.
4. Ask an expert. Makeup artists come with a wide range of knowledge when it comes to products and color. If you are shopping at a makeup counter, don’t be afraid to ask for a second opinion. You can always learn from the pros and walk away with a few new and exciting recommendations.
5. Exfoliate and condition. Once you’ve picked your favorite color, exfoliating and conditioning are the most important things to do when it comes to lips. Exfoliate the lips gently with a quality lip scrub, to get all the dead skin cells off. Then follow up with a conditioning and hydrating lip balm. This is best to do at night before bed.
The most important tip of all? Whether you opted for a sheer nude or a shocking pink, the most beautiful accessory of all is a smile!
Do you have a beauty question for me? Leave it in the comments below or tweet it at @makeupdotcom.
For more daily beauty inspirations, be sure to follow me on Twitter at @ashleyrebeccany!
Photos: Maybelline New York, Kiehl’s