Beauty Icon: Kristen Stewart
The beauty icon: Kristen Stewart
Her signature look: Anti-starlet. In fact, Stewart is full of contradictions. The star of the mega-grossing Twilight films is a media darling, with a distaste for the media. She is an unconventional beauty icon, but an iconic beauty nonetheless. She is famous for her pouty scowl, intense brooding eyes, brunette mane and fair skin, as well as a more unpolished indie look that is evolving as she is beginning to gain confidence in the spotlight.
Her style legacy: Play by your own rules. In her personal life, Stewart appears most at ease in androgynous duds from oversized tees to boyfriend blazers and hoodies. On the red carpet, she weaves an effortless attitude with a rocker glam aesthetic. The blend results in her signature nonconformist KStew style, pairing Converse sneakers with ’80s-inspired mini cocktail dresses and fierce pointy-toed heels with attire accented by asymmetrical necklines and peek-a-boo panels.
Her “it” moment: At the 2008 film premiere of Twilight, Stewart wore a one-shoulder red, black and white colorblocked Balenciaga dress. She paired it with smoldering, shimmering Dior eye makeup. Whether she knew it (or liked it) or not, a star was born.
Her now moment: This fall’s promotional tours for On the Road and the final film in the Twilight saga, Breaking Dawn: Part 2. Stewart wowed “Twihards” in a checkerboard romper straight off the Louis Vuitton spring 2013 runway, topped off by sideswept hair and dramatic winged eyeliner. Less than two weeks later, she dazzled at an On the Road screening in a side ponytail, purple smoky eye and bright crimson lip that looked edgy with a Balenciaga white cutout top and black high-waisted trousers. Finally she sent the media into a frenzy wearing a black sheer lace beaded Zuhair Murad jumpsuit with cascading waves and tightlined lashes at a UK premiere for Breaking Dawn.
Her beauty booty:
- For pale porcelain skin, like Stewart’s, apply YSL Le Teint Touche Éclat foundation in a shade just a touch lighter than your skintone.
- Enhance a soft finish by skipping bronzer and dusting a neutral blush from your temples down onto the tops of your cheeks, avoiding the center of your face. Try: Lancôme Blush Subtil Palette in Nectar Lace.
- Stewart occasionally rocks a red, but mostly sticks to a bare lip. Pat on a sheer wash of color using Giorgio Armani Sheer Lipstick in Sand Dune Beige.
- Stewart maintains perfectly groomed brows that anchor her eye look. To clean and shape brows, invest in Anastasia Tweezers and Brow Gel.
- To emulate her mesmerizing eyes, rim yours fully in bronze or copper metallics and blend outward. Try: Lancôme Color Design Sensational Effects Eye Shadow Quad in VIP Entrance.
- Intensify the look with smudged black eyeliner. The look is less perfect and more rock-and-roll with Maybelline Eye Studio Master Drama Cream Pencil.
- Finish with a thickening and lengthening mascara, like Victoria’s Secret Voluptuous Volume Mascara.
Straight from her lips: “If you don’t have the heart to back up your looks, you are ugly. I’ve met so many people that I thought were so gorgeous and talented and amazing. And then you meet them for one second and you’re like, ‘You are wearing a costume, you are a fake, you are so unattractive.’”
Photo: Getty Images