As a makeup artist, I am constantly helping clients to look their best and make the most of the products they own. The more you know how to utilize your beauty tools, the more fun you can have (not to mention, the more money you’ll save). Here are some of my favorites simple tips and tricks that anyone can do, that’ll make you feel—and look—like a pro.
1. The Matte Factor: You can turn any lipstick matte by adding a small amount of powder blush on top. Apply lipstick, blot with a tissue, and pat blush on top with your finger until it's fully matte. This is a perfect way to test matte texture to see if you like it while utilizing products you already have.
2. Ms. Mix-A-Lot: You can easily make an at home tinted moisturizer by mixing your foundation with your daily moisturizing cream. This will thin out the texture of your makeup when you want sheer coverage, and hydrate your skin at the same time. If you’re searching for a new foundation, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation is incredible.
3. Double Duty Eyes: Did you know mascara can double as an eyeliner? Smudge some mascara from your wand on your hand, and apply as a liner with a brush to the lash line. Finish with 3 coats of the same mascara on the lashes. This is a great tip for traveling.
4. Instant Brow Lift: Highlight brows with concealer and blend with a foundation brush. By placing concealer around the brows and blending, you add shape and lift, without an eye-raising bill from the plastic surgeon.
5. Cheeky Fix: Lipstick can double as a cream blush when you're in a bind. I was on set one time and left my blushes in a different makeup bag that wasn't with me. I used a soft peach lipstick blended on the cheek instead, and voila: instant cream blush! A current favorite color of mine, Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in Pink Celebration, is also a good option for makeshift blush.
Have any clever makeup tricks of your own? Fill us in below!
Want more from our makeup artists? Check out these expert tips and tricks: