How-To: Pinned Back Waves
There are few things in life that give us more joy than bouncy, perfect curls. That’s right – we said it. You can go ahead and judge us, but we stand by our belief in the mood-boosting power of a perfectly coiled tendril. Case in point: just looking at the pinned back waves on this model leaves us weak in the knees. We gave these classic waves a modern twist by adding a row of ombré bobby pins, so the final effect is unique, eye-catching and utterly divine.
1. Protect: Use a heat protector like Redken Hot Sets 22 Thermal Setting Mist – Heat Protectant Spray to guard your strands against heat damage.
2. Part: Part your hair to the side using a wide-toothed comb.
3. Curl: Using a 1-inch curling iron, curl your hair in 1 inch sections away from your face.
4. Brush: Brush out your curls gently.
5. Spray: Give your tresses a spritz of hairspray – L’Oréal Elnett Satin Hairspray is a cult favorite.
6. Pin: Now all that’s left is to add the bobby pins! Follow the “S” pattern that mimics the shape of your waves. We colored our bobby pins with nail polish for an ombré effect using essie Blanc, Sephora Collection nail polish Jacuzzi, Lancôme Vernis in Love I Do Blue and Plunge Pool.
Will you give this look a try? How do you accessorize with bobby pins? Tell us in the comments!
Photos: Joshua M Shelton Photography
Makeup artist: Tara Shakespeare for Contour Fossa
Model: Summer Hammeras