Seeing Red: Tips for Redheaded Beauties
Jessica Chastain. Christina Hendricks. Emma Stone. Nothing is hotter or more glamorous in Hollywood right now than redheads! Whether you are a natural born ginger or you get your flaming locks from a bottle, spring beauty trends are designed for you sassy sirens.
No matter what you’ve been told about color and what you can and can’t wear, a true redhead is never a slave to trend advice. Having red hair is just as much about the attitude and confidence to try new things, as it is the color. Whether your hair is copper, violet-red or true red, these simple spring tricks will have heads turning all season long (even more than usual)…
1. Power Pout. It’s all about the red lip this season and the bolder the better! A good tip for finding the perfect match is to know your skin tone. A pink undertone is perfectly matched for a blue-based red (a deeper true red that has no hint of orange). Whereas a yellow undertone can wear any red (lucky!) but sultry orange red really pops. As a redhead you are used to getting noticed, but if you want your lips to fly a little lower under the radar opt for a sheer or stain in the same color range.
2. Look-at-Me Eyeliner. Blue and green eyeliner were all over the runways at fashion week from Stella McCartney to Moschino. The bright greens in particular pair beautifully with cinnamon tresses. Try wearing your hair in a high bun and lining only the bottom inner rim of the eye with your favorite shade of green.
3. Glow-rious Skin. Proper skin care is so important and not just for the fair skinned redheads. Make sure you are exfoliating at least three times a week at night with a gentle exfoliant. For a tinted moisturizer it’s all about the new “CC” creams that combine color, SPF, and skin brightening ingredients to make your skin look radiant. Top it off with a shimmery highlighter on your upper cheeks, temples and nose, and you will be left with an ethereal glow.
4. Brows That Wow. Bold and defined eyebrows are the look-of-the-moment so don’t be afraid to really emphasize your brows. Finding the right color for definition can be challenging, but try asking your hair stylist to tint your brows one shade darker than your hair color (you don’t want your brows and hair to be too matchy-matchy). If you have full eyebrows it works better to define your brows with a pencil but sparse brows need the added coverage of a brow powder.
5. Luscious Lashes. Twiggy-like lashes are a major beauty YES this spring. Whether you’re throwing an extra coat of mascara on your natural lashes or sporting a faux lash, the longer and wispier the better. Play up your hair color by trying a bold green or blue mascara. You can intensify this look by wearing the color alone or for subtlety apply black mascara and put the color on the tips.
6. Shine Bright Like a Diamond. Sparkle and shine says spring is busting out all over (like we need permission to wear sparkles) and there are so many beautiful ways to comply. The Miu Miu runway featured models with beautiful shining copper winged eyeshadow that would illuminate any redhead’s sexy night out. Cream shadows with shimmer have the best color payout and usually dry down crease proof. Smudge in a little black eyeliner and you are ready paint the town, well, red of course.
7. Your Best Accessory. Thanks to amazing advances in hair color technology you don’t have to be born with red hair to experience the glamour and sex appeal. Keep in mind the brighter you go the more attitude it takes to pull it off. Maintaining your color vibrancy can be a challenge but it helps to wait as long as possible between washes (even the gentlest shampoos can remove color). Luckily, brands like Pureology have come out with hair care systems made specifically for red hair such as Reviving Red to ensure color is maintained as long as possible. L’Oréal Advanced Haircare Color Vibrancy Nourishing Shampoo is also great for extending the life of your color. For those days when you skip a wash, try a dry shampoo when your hair starts to feel weighed down. You’ll be amazed how well the hair holds those head turning styles when its not freshly washed.
Use these tips to get your spring beauty routine on point, and remember that being a redhead isn’t just a hair color… it’s a lifestyle!
Do you have a beauty question for me? If so, leave it in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer in an upcoming post.
Photo: Giorgio Armani Beauty, Kiehl’s, Wenn