The forties might be making a resurgence for Fall 2013, but right now it’s all about the Roaring 20s…
With the much-anticipated release of Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby, due to open the 66th Cannes Film Festival in May, we’ve spotted looks inspired by this sartorial style just about everywhere—from the runway to the red carpet. Whether it’s Carey Mulligan sporting Marcel waves or Naeem Khan’s Jazz Age ladies on the catwalk, this trend has proved to have some serious staying power…and for good reason, too!
We love how Gatsby-era beauty pays homage to our favorite classics: red lipstick, pink blush, lined eyes, porcelain skin, and timeless fragrance. In light of this comeback we have rounded up 5 of our favorite 20s-inspired beauty buys that will have you channeling your inner Daisy Buchanan in no time along with tips on how to translate this trend into your everyday look… But first, here’s what you will need:
1. A Timeless Red Lip. Nothing says 1920s-chic like a rogue pout. Try like Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Volupté in Red Temptation or Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in #645 Red Revival.
2. True Pink Blush. A fresh flush balances a heavy lip and winged liner. We love L’Orèal Paris Visible Lift Color Lift Blush in Rose Gold along with Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush in Pink. To really play up your inner glow, work the new Clarisonic Aria Sonic Cleansing Brush into your pre-makeup beauty routine.
3. Cat Eyes. Cat eye liquid lined eyes are a must, luckily this lust-worthy look is easy to do. To achieve a sharp, defined line we suggest Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Sabbath or Lancôme Artliner Precision Point Eyeliner in Noir.
4. A Porcelain Complexion. For a flawless face, start with Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation and Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat and finish off with L’Orèal Paris True Match Naturale Soft-Focus Mineral Finish powder.
5. The Scent of Sophistication. No true beauty look is complete without a spritz of fragrance. For a Golden Age approved finish, try Ralph Lauren Romance Eau de Parfum or go for another classic, Chanel N°5.
How to Wear Jazz Age Inspired Beauty in 2013
Don’t over do it. Select a few key signatures of the classic look; for instance, porcelain skin paired with a red lip and winged liner. Or finger curls, pink blush, and lined eyes. The lesson here? Successfully recreating this look should be done in an understated manner without looking like a costume.
Get inspired. Take a peek at how these leading ladies worn the twenties-trend:
From the experts. "Make sure when doing this look to not skip the brows. Fill them in with a natural color that compliments your hair. Blondes should go a few shades darker, brunettes about one shade darker, and redheads depending on the shade should go about 1-2 shades deeper than their hair. With perfectly shaped brows, your overall look will come together and look polished and sophisticated," says Ashley Rebecca, freelance makeup artist in New York City.