Some of the fashion choices at last night's Emmy Awards missed the mark, but the makeup looks were right on target, with stars choosing sheer lip colors and subtle eye makeup shades such as copper and gray that delivered sexiness without being overt.
And how about that opening number? Aside from being legitimately funny for the first time in years, it officially confirmed that Jon Hamm can make anything look good—even "The Running Man" dance. But back to the beauty... Here are some of the makeup highlights (no pun intended!) from last night.
1. Christina Hendricks (shown above). Christina's Mad Men hair and makeup is so sculpted that it's only when you see this softer side of her that you realize what a delicate beauty she is. Inspired by Mia Farrow's romantic makeup in the 1974 film The Great Gatsby, makeup artist Vanessa Scali went with subtly defined eyes and muted red lips. She swept Yves Saint Laurent Ombre Solo Eyeshadows in Cashmere Brown and Midnight Black across the lids and bottom lash lines, dragging the smoky mix slightly past the outer corners for a doe-eyed effect. Lancôme Le Crayon Khôl in Black and Lancôme Artliner liquid eyeliner in Noir emphasized the lash lines, and Lancôme Définicils Waterproof Mascara in Black was generously brushed on both top and bottom lashes. To balance out the strong eye makeup, Vanessa swirled Lancôme Blush Subtil Shimmer in Pink Pool on the apples of the cheeks, dabbed Giorgio Armani Beauty Fluid Sheer No. 2 Shimmering Beige highlighter on the cheekbones, and used two Lancôme lip colors—Color Design Matte Lipstick in Corset topped with La Laque Fever Lipshine in Cyber Coral—for a sweet, reddish-pink mouth.
2. Lea Michele. By going with midnight-blue winged liner as opposed to black, then adding strong brows and shiny nude lips, Lea achieved a less intense version of bombshell makeup that's ideal for a girl in her early 20s.
3. Emily Blunt. With that porcelain skin of hers, Emily looked positively ethereal in pale silvery-blue eye shadow, crisp black eye liner, and perfectly fanned lashes. The slightest touch of pale pink on her cheeks and lips completed the innocent look.
4. Rutina Wesley. How do you do bright makeup in a way that looks sexy? Follow the True Blood star's lead and pair cherry lips and coral blush with clean eye makeup and va-va-voom lashes.
5. Kyra Sedgwick. When you look hotter than some of the starlets half your age, you're clearly doing something right. Kyra showed us all how it's done by rocking fuchsia lipstick and lilac shadow with tumbling beachy waves. Divine!
Which celebrity do you think had the best makeup last night?