What’s that we smell? A hint of daffodils in the air? The sweet coconut-scented sunscreen you’re packing for your spring break vaca? A little something else wafting in the air at Coachella and other hipster festivals? A change of season is in the air. And lighter, brighter weather means lighter, brighter nails (we hear that even dark polish loyalists take a hiatus from the monotony of black manis come March). Trust us, once you see this season’s prettiest sun-drenched hues, you’ll never want to take them off. Here’s how to wear them solo or if you’re up for some seriously pinterest-worthy nail art, courtesy of celebrity nail queen and Essie artist Rita Remark.
Think bubble gum pink meets magenta meets pomegranate for a fun, girly pop of color
1. After a thin layer of First Base base coat, apply two coats of B'aha Moment! Allow it to completely dry.
2. Using a striping brush, create a "V" shape on the side of the accent nail using a light pink like Backseat Besties. Let dry.
3. Add small triangles along the top and bottom of the "V". Let dry for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add a smaller "V" on the inside of the first using an indigo blue like All The Wave.
Create one accent nail with the design on the side of the nail, and another at the tip.
A vibrant Kelly green with ripe avocado undertones
2. Using a detail brush, create leaf designs with On The Roadie.
3. Begin the leaf pattern by polishing the stem with a curved line. To create the bird of paradise palm leaf, polish a tapered oval outline first, making sure to leave the distinctive cut-outs. When the outline is complete, fill it in. Let polish dry for 2-3 minutes.
4. Seal with Call It Even top coat.
Rinse your brush frequently in polish remover to keep this design crisp and clean.
A creamy sun-kissed coral mango that looks sweet enough to eat
Arm Candy (see image above)
1. After a thin layer of Ridge Filling primer, apply two coats of Excuse Me, Sur. Let polish completely dry.
2. Using a striping brush, apply 2 horizontal lines of light pink, like Backseat Besties, across the nail at a slight angle. Let dry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add a line of indigo blue like All The Wave, crossing the first lines. Let dry for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add 2 lines of a purply plum like Designated DJ.
5. Create “beads” with the same purply plum (try designated DJ ) using a dotting tool, then seal with Good To Go top coat.
Play with different angles and dot combinations to create a unique pattern on each nail.
1. After a thin layer of First Base base coat, apply two coats of Backseat Besties on the middle and ring finger nail of each hand, and a darker fuschia pink like B’aha Moment! on the thumb, pointer, and pinkie nails. Let polish completely dry.
2. Using a detail brush, create sunglass frames on the middle and ring fingers with a juicy green like On The Roadie and B’aha Moment! Start with one horizontal line and add two half circles to form each sunglass shape. Let dry for 2-3 minutes.
3. Fill in the sunglass frames with a dark blue like All The Wave. Let dry.
4. Seal with clear top coat.
Rather than dipping your detail brush directly in the bottle, which can gather excess polish, put a few drops of polish onto a disposable palette (or piece of aluminum foil) for a precise amount.
**Tell us what your favorite nail art design is in the comments below!
About the Author:Karina Giglio is a lifestyle, beauty and health writer whose work has appeared in numerous national publications including Women’s Health, Washingtonian, Ladies Home Journal, OK!, Allure, Fitness, Marie Claire, Bride’s and The New York Post. She was a regular contributor to makeup.com, and her articles and blog posts can be found on prevention.com, dailyglow.com, yahoo.com and huffingtonpost.com. Karina has worked onstaff at Cosmopolitan and YM, as well as being part of the original Sephora.com launch team
Get our top stories straight to your inbox!
THANK YOU! YOU ARE NOW SIGNED UP
Look out for our latest stories in your inbox.
Something went wrong. We're so sorry!