Outdoor summer weddings are simply stunning! Whether they’re out on the beach, a winery (uhm, hello wine!) or a beautiful botanic garden, there’s nothing quite like watching the bride walk down the aisle among all that nature has to offer. Handkerchief, anyone? Now, let’s cut the cheesy stuff and talk about one more important factor of being outside in the summer — HEAT … and let’s not forget about its sidekick, humidity! Whether you’re the bride, bridesmaid or guest, you just spent a good amount of time getting your hair and makeup on point — don’t let it fall flat or melt on such a special occasion. Here’s how to guarantee your look stays put — from the ceremony ’til sundown.
1. Start with sun protection! Hopefully, this is something you’re already doing. But, if you’re going to be outside in the sun all day, an SPF is a must. Not only will it protect from harmful UV rays, but it will also help keep your makeup in place. Try an oil-absorbing, matte finish like SkinCeuticals Physical Matte UV Defense SPF 50 to keep your complexion shine-free, even in the hottest conditions.
2. Use an oil-free primer to prevent a makeup meltdown. To sweat-proof, heatproof and even groomsman-proof your foundation (mhm), lay down your “glue” aka oil-free primer to ensure your foundation can weather the elements. We love L’Oréal RevitaLift Miracle Blur Oil-Free!
3. Steer clear of sticky lipgloss. Summer breeze + long hair + sticky lipgloss = disaster. Instead, use a lip and cheek stain like YSL Kiss and Blush for a touch of color that wont need constant retouching.
4. Choose your eye makeup wisely. Thick and creamy eye shadows will crease, crumble and melt. For added staying power, use Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion for 24-hour crease-free wear. Then use a powder finish shadow and waterproof liquid eyeliner and mascara to prevent “raccoon eyes.” Especially if you’re known to cry at weddings!
5. Give your makeup some serious staying power. Using a large, fluffy brush, apply a light layer of translucent powder like the NYX High Definition Finishing Powder to keep skin oil free and finish off with a mist of long-lasting makeup setting spray like Urban Decay All Nighter, which has Temperature Control Technology to keep foundation, eye shadow, blush and concealer in place even in hot or humid environments.
6. Humidity-proof your hair. Whether you wear your hair down in loose waves or in a chic updo, summer is known to take a serious toll on your strands. Keep frizz and flyaways from crashing the wedding by styling damp hair with an anti-humidity smoothing cream or serum and finishing your complete look with a spritz of Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Aerosol Hair Spray.
About the Author:Diana creates on-trend beauty content for Makeup.com readers. She stays up-to-date on the latest beauty news and product launches and tests every makeup item that comes through the door. As an employee of L’Oréal, Diana writes stories about beauty products across the entire brand portfolio.
Get our top stories straight to your inbox!
This email is already signed up!
Look out for our latest stories in your inbox.
Something went wrong. We're so sorry!