We’ve all been there. You’re getting ready for work in the morning, fully aware that you won’t have time to redo your makeup before you head out for a night on the town. This is not a new problem, but we’ve got a new solution. Start the day with a soft smoky eye — it’ll only take a hot minute to make it look sultry enough for nighttime. Follow makeup extraordinaire Tara Shakespeare as she takes us from subtle smoke to a full-on fire.
1. Primer. If you want your eye makeup to last all day and well into the night, starting with a primer is a no-brainer.
2. Base Color. Use a shadow brush to dust a taupe-purple shimmery shadow all over the lid and lightly under the bottom lash line.
3. Subtle Smoke. Use an angled liner brush to apply a dark gray eye shadow along the base of the lashes and then use an eye shadow blender brush to soften the lines. Use the Maybelline Master Kajal in Charcoal Skies to line the waterline. Apply mascara.
MDC Product Picks: L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Dual Effects Eye Shadow Quad in Unforgettable Lilac Shade 1, Maybelline Master Kajal in Charcoal Skies, Lancôme Grandôse Wide Angle Fan Effect Mascara in Black
1. Create Drama. Kick the color up a notch by brushing a dark plum shadow on the outer corners of the eyelids and blending into the sockets. Use an angled eyeliner brush to use the same shadow to line the lower lash line.
2. Add Definition. Brush a shimmery taupe all across the middle of the lid. Add black liner along the lash line and inside your upper and lower waterline. Finish with a fresh coat of mascara, and you’re ready to go!
MDC Product Picks: Urban Decay Moondust Eyeshadow in Glitter Rock, Maybelline Master Kajal in Onyx Rush,
What other ways do you transition from work to a night out? Tell us your tricks!
Photography: Joshua M. Shelton
Makeup: Tara Shakespeare
Model: Julia Childs
About the Author:As managing editor, Jessyca works with the team to develop the Makeup.com vision and bring it to life on the page.
Get our top stories straight to your inbox!
This email is already signed up!
Look out for our latest stories in your inbox.
Something went wrong. We're so sorry!