Ah – the magic of being a beauty editor: getting to foresee the future and all beauty trends before they actually happen. But the truth is it’s just as overwhelming for us to sort through tons of different looks as it is for you to scroll through Pinterest and Instagram feeds full of the supposed “coolest trends to try right now.” So instead of throwing a roundup of approximately a hundred different cool fashion-forward hairstyles at you, we’ve rounded up three that you can wear all year round.
1. Ethereal Braided Crowns
This crown braid with soft waves appeared at the Michael Costello Spring 2018 presentation and was influenced by the whimsical, feminine aesthetic of the new collection.
What You’ll Need: Lived-In Texture Creation Cream, Lived-In Finishing Spray
Get The Look:
1. Prep with Mizani’s Lived-In Texture Creation Cream. Apply a nickel or quarter-sized amount of the product (depending on hair type), drying into the roots to create volume and add grit for braiding.
2. Create a clean center part using a tail comb.
3. Off of the center part, create a triangle section of hair on both sides – the front part of the part is the first point, the second point being behind the ear and the third point being at the highest point of the head. Section away with a hair clip.
4. On each side/each triangle, begin braiding (inverted braid) taking each section diagonal forward. Secure each strand with an elastic.
5. Use hands to loosen braids before joining braids in the back to create a crown braid (making sure to conceal the elastics. Use pins to secure.
6. On the rest of the hair that’s left out, take a flat iron in an S-wave pattern to create loose waves.
7. Once the whole head is ironed, apply Lived-In Finishing Spray for texture and dimension.
8. Take a bit of Lived-In Texture Creation Cream through the ends to tame any flyaways and add soft hold.
2. Sleek, Modern Ponytails
1. Work L’Oréal Professionnel Liss Control through hair and flat iron from the nape.
2. Spray L’Oréal Professionnel Densite at the roots and blow dry into the hair.
3. Divide the hair from ear to ear across the head and create a side part on the front hair. On the back hair, divide into symmetrical ponytails.
4. Take small sections from each side of the front hair and bring to the opposite ponytail, securing each section with a rubber band. Spray each section with L'Oréal Professionnel Infinium 3.
5. Once all sections have been pulled into the ponytails, cover the rubber bands with L'Oréal Professionnel Shower Shine for instant shine.
3. Classically Beautiful Beach Waves
1. Start with clean, dry hair.
2. If your hair is thick, prep it with Redken Beach Envy Wave Aid throughout the lengths.
3. If your hair is fine, prep hair by spritzing Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam at the roots to pump up volume.
4. Using a 1-inch curling iron, curl lengths of hair while leaving 1 inch of the ends out to keep the hair beachy. Let hair cool.
5. Spritz lengths with Redken Wind Blown 05 for added texture, then comb out curls with a wide-toothed comb for soft waves.
6. Use a bit of Redken Fashion Work 12 to set the look.