Fashions finest pulled out their studs and black eyeliner Monday night for the PUNK: Chaos to Couture exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In between oohs, aahs and gasps, we took note of the night’s best beauty looks–each stunning enough to divert our attention from Sarah Jessica Parker’s gilded mohawk (a large feat, to be sure).
Here are some of the Met Gala standouts, plus MDC tips from the Kérastase experts that created these beautiful looks.
Teenage stunner, Hailee Steinfeld always leaves us with major hair envy and the Met Gala proved no exception. Steinfeld paired her bold eye makeup with a playful do that mimicked the increasingly trendy partially shaved head. We got the exclusive lowdown from Celebrity Stylist Marcus Francis on how he created the look.
Get the Look:
1. Using the end of a tail comb, section a deep side part using the arch of the eyebrow as a guide. Follow it back to the nape of the neck and pin up to later twist.
2. Apply Kérastase Mousse Substantive to small sections of air-dried hair from roots to ends. To recreate the texture, scrunch hair using a diffuser until dry and piecey.
3. To slightly perfect the texture, grab random sections and curl using a 1" barrel curling iron for a slightly undone feel.
4. Apply Kérastase Homme Capital Force Gel in small sections from roots to ends and apply to the side that is sectioned off. From the hairline, twist the hair to slightly mimic a cornrow braid, keeping it taut and close to the head. Secure with an elastic when you get to the base of the hairline at the nape.
5. Dry and scrunch ends with a diffuser.
6. Add a horned hair comb for that extra nod to the punk era, making the placement a bit unpredictable.
7. Secure the deep side across the forehead with bobby pins and Kérastase Double Force Controle Ultime Hair Spray.Georgina Chapman and Monique LhuillierDesigners Georgina Chapman of Marchesa and Monique Lhuillier stunned on the red carpet with their bold makeup and interesting updos. Here’s the skinny on how to create their looks.
Get the Look: Georgina Chapman - Ultime Ponytail
Look created by: Kérastase Tech Artist Akemi Tamaribuchi
1. Apply Kérastase Elixir Ultime to hair and blow dry, smoothing up and away from the face.
2. Gather hair into a high ponytail using Kérastase Mousse Substantive at the roots to lend support while smoothing and gathering tension.
3. Spray hair with Kérastase Double Force Controle Ultime Hair Spray for control, and secure a tail wrap to lock in the ponytail.
Get the Look: Monique Lhuillier - Fierce and Chic
Look created by: Kérastase Tech Artist Nina Dimachki
1. Layer Kérastase Chroma Thermique and Kérastase Cristalliste Lumiere Liquide onto clean, damp hair.
2. Create a deep, exaggerated side part and blow dry hair smooth with a round bristle brush for heat protection and intense shine.
3. Once hair is dry, apply the new Kérastase Cristalliste Cristal Sculpt through the mid-lengths to ends for hold and amplified shine, then divide hair into three tiers: top, sides and back and nape.
4. Beginning at the nape, flat iron the hair without beveling the hair under, giving it a fierce, bold effect. Flat iron all sections, ending with the top and refine the deep side part using a tail comb.
5. Brush the hair at the sides closest to the parting back off the shoulder and the other side in front of the shoulder to add chicness. Spray Kérastase Double Force Conrole Ultime Hair Spray all over to lock in smoothness and eliminate fly-aways.Jessica Paré
Paré attended the Met Gala with Jason Wu, and wore the designer's royal blue pant dress. Wu’s vision was to keep the hair clean and worn back. Celebrity Stylist Marcus Francis added a punk twist to the hairstyle.
Get the Look:
1. On damp hair, apply Kérastase Fibre Architecte from roots to ends and blow dry straight with a medium-sized round brush.
2. Make a center part, pull hair back into a low ponytail, and flat iron the ends.
3. Apply a pea-sized amount of Kérastase Elixir Ultime to smooth the hair and create shine, then twist and pin the hair as you would to create a bun.
4. Leave out the ends and secure with hair pins.
5. Spray with Kérastase Double Force Controle Ultime Hairspray to secure the look's shape.
6. Finish with a few spritzes of Kérastase Chroma Cristal to smooth out the center part and hairline.
We also couldn’t get enough of the punk hairstyles Redken Creative Consultant Guido Palau created for the models that lined the Met’s grand staircase as guests entered the gala!
Who was your favorite of the night? Let us know below!
Photos: Courtesy of Kevin Tachman