One of our favorite parts of winter is the increase of straight up glamour. From sequined party dresses, to glittering Christmas trees, winter is never afraid to put on the glitz. That said, it’s no surprise that one of our favorite runway-inspired beauty trends for winter boasts lacquered lips, romantic curls and glittering lids. To help us interpret this glossy trend the real-girl way, we asked professional makeup artist Tara Shakespeare for Contour Fossa Makeup & Hair, to take us through the process step-by-step.
Get the Look: Gloss On By Makeup
1. Using a sponge, press cream foundation onto the skin.
2. Set your foundation with pressed powder for a matte finish.
3. Line your upper lash line with a black eyeliner—Shakespeare used the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero. Use a smudge brush to smoke out the line and darken your lashes.
4. Using a brush, apply a pearlescent gloss on your lids, like MAC All Over Gloss in Astonish.
5. Curl your lashes and apply your favorite mascara.
6. Apply Maybelline Fit Me Blush in Light Rose to the apples of your cheeks.
7. Use a lip brush to apply Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro in 400.
Expert tip: when applying your lip color use a brush with a flat edge for the cleanest lines.
8. Apply a clear gloss over your lip color for added shine.
Get the Look: Gloss On By Hair
1. Blow dry your hair as normal.
2. Using a small to medium barrel curling iron, curl a one-inch section of your hair all the way to the root, then pin in place.
3. Repeat this step until you’ve curled and pinned all of your hair.
4. Once your hair has cooled, use a flat brush and gently brush out the curls for loose, romantic waves.
5. Set your hair with hairspray to keep the style in place.
Would you try a glossy eyelid, or do you prefer to keep the shine to your lips? Let us know your thoughts below!
P.S. If you haven’t seen it yet, don’t miss the gorgeous runway look that inspired this trend!
Photos: Joshua M Shelton PhotographyModel: Ashley La’Rae