Here at MDC, we love a good happy medium, especially when it comes to hair. There are some days when you are not in the mood to have your hair down and all in your face, but also want something a little fancier than a basic pony (yes, we women are complicated creatures). For these wishy-washy days, we suggest a great half-up hairstyle. The beauty about this halfway look is that it can work with any hair length. Take a look at our suggestions for fabulous half-up styles that will help you step up your hair game.
Short Hair: Pinned-Up Girl
Updos of any kind might seem like a challenge for you short-haired ladies, but let us assure you that this pretty pinned-up look is full proof!
1. Curl your hair into loose waves using a straightening iron or a 1 1/4-inch curling iron (you ladies with naturally curly or wavy hair can skip this step).
2. Loosen the curls with your fingers and part the hair down the middle. Lightly spritz the hair with texturizing spray (we recommend Redken Fashion Waves Sea Salt Spray) to give it some body.
3. Grab a two-inch piece of hair from the front right or left side and pull it toward the back of the head. Pin it down with bobby pins (for the best hold, try this life-changing bobby pin trick). To glam up this look, use fancier bobby pins with floral or glitter accents!
4. Repeat with the opposite side and lightly spray the hair with a flexible-hold hairspray like L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle LOCK-IT Fine Control Hairspray to set the style.
Medium Length: The Princess Principle
Get girly with an über-feminine braided half pony style. A twist on the classic princess braids of our childhood, this lovely ’do will make you wanna hop on a horse and ride off into the sunset with Prince Charming himself.
Long Hair: Pumped Up
Long hair is a blessing we know, but oftentimes it can feel like a curse. Yes, we’re talking about those days where your locks can’t seem to defy the elements (wind, rain, pillows, etc). A pumped-up half-up ’do is the perfect solution for just such an occasion. We love this look because it works well on both wavy and straight hair.
1. Brush the top of your hair back so that it is smooth and easy to pull back.
2. Separate a triangle-shaped section of hair from the front of the head, between the middle of both of your eyes.
3. Using a teaser brush, tease the section of hair at the roots and lightly smooth it back with the brush.
4. Gather the section toward the top of the back of the head and secure with bobby pins.
5. Spray the top of the head with finishing spray like Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Finish 5-In-1 Serum Spray.
Which of these half-up dos is your fave? Tell us in the comments below.
About the Author:Angela helps inspire and inform the Makeup.com audience by delivering the latest beauty tips, tricks and trends.
Get our top stories straight to your inbox!
This email is already signed up!
Look out for our latest stories in your inbox.
Something went wrong. We're so sorry!