As most of you have probably figured out, the team here at MDC loves lipstick. We love the sassiness it delivers to any look, the ease of application and the instant self-esteem boost that comes with simply swiping it on. However, we also understand that there are those who may not share our sentiments toward the colorful capsules. Maybe it’s the texture or the unwanted responsibility of keeping up a bright red pout for a whole day. Whatever your reasons, you are just not giving in to the lipstick movement. We get it. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t rock a sassy lip! Makeup pros Emma Willis and Diana Shin showed us how to get four amazing looks (for four different occasions) with — wait for it — lip balms.
Girls' Night Out
Hitting the town with your best girls? You want a look that stands out, no lipstick required. A brightly pigmented pink lip balm paired with a swipe of black eyeliner will do just the trick.
- Apply a tinted moisturizer or BB cream to the skin with a wedge sponge or beauty blender.
- Using a medium flat brush, apply concealer to shadowed spots around the nose and chin, under the eyes and around the bridge of the nose. This is to add some subtle contouring and highlighting to the face. Set the look with powder like Urban Decay Naked Skin Ultra Definition Loose Finishing Powder.
- Apply bronzer to the forehead, cheek hollows, jawline and sides of the nose.
- Wash the eyelids with coppery gold shadow like Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo Pure Pigments Loose Powder Shadow in Breaking Bronze, then line the lower lash line with it using a small shadow brush.
- Line the upper lash line with black gel or liquid eyeliner. For a bolder look, thicken the line with an angled brush.
- Apply mascara to upper and lower lashes. WIllis used Urban Decay Perversion Mascara.
- Finish the look with a bright pink lip balm like L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Balm Pop in Wild Lily (#410).
Top o’ the morning to ya! For brunch, you want to go for a fresh, effortless look, which is why a great peachy lip balm is just what you need. It’s neither too flashy nor understated.
- Prep the skin with a matte primer and apply a dewy/illuminating foundation like Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation.
- Cover any imperfections or blemishes with concealer and blend in well.
- Apply a bright pink or coral cream blush to the apples of the cheeks and blend well so the face has a naturally flushed look.
- Line the upper and lower lash line with a dark brown shadow like the one found in the L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Dual Effects Rose Nude Palette.
- Lightly dust bronzer on the forehead, nose and neck for some added warmth.
- Swipe on a peachy-pink lip balm like L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Glossy Balm in Ginger Candy.
Put an unexpected twist on your formal look with a creamy orange lip stain and a cat eye.
- Prime your skin with a matte skin perfecter like L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Miracle Blur.
- Dust lids with a soft pink shadow.
- Apply a light brown shade to the outer corners of the eyes and gently work into the crease.
- Using a small, flat shadow brush, apply dark brown shadow to the outer portions of the upper and lower lash line. Blur the color inward toward the middle of the upper and lower lid using a fluffy shadow brush.
- Line the upper lash line with black gel liner and wing it out slightly. Apply a waterproof, coal-colored eyeliner pencil to the upper waterline.
- Curl the lashes and apply a curling mascara like YSL Beauty Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Baby Doll.
- Using a foundation brush, blend an illuminating foundation into the skin and cover up any imperfections with concealer.
- Dust a soft pink blush from the apples of the cheeks to the temples.
- Apply an orange lip color like Giorgio Armani Lip Maestro in Clash.
For the office, a simple eye with a subtle pop of cherry-tinted lip balm works wonders.
- Line the upper lash line with a pencil liner like Urban Decay Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion.
- Prime skin with a skin-perfecting mattifier. Shin used Garnier Skin Renew 5 Second Blur Instant Smoother.
- Apply a lightweight foundation or BB cream and blend into the skin with a beauty blender.
- Contour the face by taking a darker foundation shade or bronzer and drawing a line along the bridge of the nose, under the eyes and around the mouth. Blend it out well so there are no visible lines left.
- Apply a lip balm like em Michelle Phan Pillow Plush Lip Balm in Lollipop.
Which of these balm-tastic looks will you try first? Tell us in the comments below!