Nothing quite compares to the terrors of looking in the mirror and noticing a new fine line, wrinkle or age spot that has magically appeared out of nowhere. As women, we are well aware of the dreaded aging process, but that doesn’t make the experience any less upsetting. While we can't fight what nature has intended for us, we can certainly make the process more graceful (and less visible to the naked eye) with a little magic of our own. Here are some makeup tricks to turn back the hands of time.
1. Firm Up Your Foundation. Ever been to a holiday party and poured a little champagne in that punch bowl when no one was looking? Adding a firming serum to your foundation delivers the same type of kick, but to your skin! By adding a few drops of firming serum you've automatically upgraded your makeup to an antiaging treatment. Yes please!
2. Line Up. Lining the top lash line — as opposed to lining the entire eye — will make your eyes appear more youthful and awake (always a good thing). Want to up the ante? Use a colored liner like a purple or teal. Dark circles, bags and lines will be taking a back seat to your bright-eyed face!
3. Cream Blush. Instead of powder, opt for a cream-based formula that will give the skin more of a glow. A fresh pop of color on the cheeks is a great way to instantly lend your mug some youthful vibrance.
4. Neutralize That Neck. Because of its hypersensitivity, the neck area is typically a dead giveaway to your age. Pull the wool over everyone’s eyes by applying a little foundation (a la Step #1.) to the neck to cover any dark spots or pigmentation. Add some warmth with bronzer, which helps the skin appear more naturally smooth.
5. Bring On the Highlight. When in doubt (or in a rush) grab some highlighter. When the skin is brighter, it appears more supple and smooth. Highlight some common aging “problem areas” like the brows and under the eyes.
Although these tricks are great for day-to-day activities, it’s important to fight the aging process while the makeup is off as well. Make sure you keep your skin hydrated and healthy by drinking lots of water. By doing this, you are promoting instant radiance. Also, apply an antiaging mask once a week (we recommend the Giorgio Armani Luminessence Mask). This will do wonders for your skin and give it a much-needed boost of free-radical protection.
If you could turn back time, what would you do differently? Let us know in the comments below!
About the Author:Ashley is a New York City-based makeup artist with a robust list of editorial and celebrity clients.