As a professional makeup artist, I’m continually asked “what makeup will flatter me most?” The truth is, beauty is highly personal and relative, but in general less is best. I’ve found that no matter what skin tone, coloring or facial structure, the less complicated, the better. So, to guide you on your path toward the most flattering makeup ever, here are my steps for soft, clean makeup that looks beautiful on everyone.
1. Even Skin: Whether you are someone who likes a very sheer texture foundation, or one who opts for more coverage, even skin tone is the first step in creating a soft and clean beauty look. A small amount of foundation to even out hyper-pigmentation can do wonders for your face. Apply a sheer amount and blend until coverage is nice and smooth.
My Picks:Giorgio Armani Maestro Foundation, Urban Decay "Naked Skin" Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup
2. Conceal: Most women apply foundation and completely neglect the under eye area. It is imperative to apply concealer under the eyes to soften natural shading and minimize dark circles.
Pro Tip: Apply concealer to eyelids to even out any redness. This is an error proof tip that works every time!
My Picks:L'Oréal True Match Concealer, Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer
3. Add Warmth: Not everyone has to wear blush, but all faces benefit from some warmth (bronzer). A simple dusting of bronzer to highlight and add dimension does wonders to enhance features and bone structure.
My Picks: E.L.F Mineral Glow Bronzer, Lancôme Star Bronzer
4. Frame Your Face: Eyebrows are integral for framing your face—don’t forget them!Shape brows with a brow defining pencil and start, building shape and color as you go.
My Picks: MAC Defining Brow Pencil, Shu Uemura Hard Formula
5. Bat those Lashes: Mascara is your best friend, ladies! Applying a voluminous mascara can completely change the look of your eyes, even if you don't have the time to apply eyeshadow. Consider this one of the most important beauty steps to take.
My Picks: Maybelline Great Lash Mascara, Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Mascara
6. Pucker Up: Apply a sheer lipstick or balm to the lips, giving them just the right amount of color. Bold colors can be flattering as well, as long as you’re comfortable with what you’re wearing—confidence is the ultimate flattering asset.
My Picks: Tarte LipSurgence in "Natural Lip Luster", The Body Shop Born Lippy Stick Pink Berry
What makeup do you find most flattering on you? Fill me in with a comment below.