Let’s face it: Ponytails are the closest thing to Prozac for our hair. What else can turn a bad hair day into a fashion statement in under five minutes? And get you out of the house looking polished, even if you don’t feel that way. But if you’re using the same old look so often that it's left you feeling blah, now's the time to add a little extra cheer to your tresses. Grab your elastic and check out these cool new takes on the classic ‘tail by stylist Sharon So and hair finishing expert Jennifer Mapp Bressan. There’s one to get you through each of your holiday parties (and the mornings after).
The Side Seductress
- If hair is naturally curly, prep dry hair with a small amount of smoothing cream like Cibu Oso Shimmer Smoothing Solution. Refine with a curling iron, diffuser or simply work with your natural texture. If hair is straight, work a golf ball size of volumizing mousse through damp hair and diffuse to create wavy texture. Try Garnier Fructis XXL Volume Mousse. Once hair is dry, part down the middle and refine with a curling iron, curling hair in sections away from the face.
- Flip entire head over and spray with a dry shampoo, massaging into roots.
- Gather hair at either side of base of neck.
- Split hair in two sections, twist each section inward and secure underneath with bobby pins.
- Gather loose hair under bobby pins and secure in a low ponytail with a small hair tie.
- Use the pointy section of a rat tail comb to pull out random tendrils.
- Gather dry hair at base of neck in loose ponytail (this is an unconstructed, funky look, so top portion can be a bit messy).
- Secure with a hair tie.
- Loop a thin ribbon through the hair tie.
- Separate hair into three sections, and weave the ribbon and hair into a loose braid.
- Secure at base with hair tie, and wrap or tie the remainder of ribbon around hair tie to conceal.
- Spray all of hair lightly with medium-hold hairspray like Bumble and Bumble Does It All Styling Spray to set the braid.
- While your hair is still wet, apply a styling product like Matrix Biolage Molding Souffle for soft hold.
- After blow-drying, separate dry hair into two sections: top and bottom.
- Brush the top section back, pull it into a ponytail, and secure with elastic.
- Take a 1” section of hair from the length of the ponytail and wrap it around the base of the ponytail several times. Secure ends underneath ponytail with a bobby pin or simply tuck it into the elastic.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the bottom ponytail, but be sure to tie the hair hanging from the top ponytail into the second, lower ponytail.
The High & Mighty
- While hair is wet, apply a straightening, heat-protectant spray like Redken Iron Silk 07 Ultra Straightening Spray.
- Blow dry hair, and flat iron to straighten hair in sections. This look is pin straight.
- After hair is completely straight, emulsify a dime size amount of styling wax/pomade like Cibu Sticky Rice Pomade in palms and smooth over entire head, roots to ends.
- Use a soft bristle brush to smooth hair into a sleek, high ponytail, and secure tightly with an elastic.
- Take a 1” section of hair from the length of the ponytail and wrap it around the base several times. Secure the ends underneath ponytail with a bobby pin.
- Remove flyaways by applying spray to a fine-tooth comb and smoothing it over hair.