There seems to be a very clear hair theme this fall: a beautiful mess. From unkempt chignons and textured ponytails to loose, disheveled locks, everyone is embracing this slightly unpolished look — and so are we. Not only is this messy trend tres chic, but it’s also pretty easy to achieve. Everyone should have a chance to rock the perfectly imperfect hairstyle, so we came up with foolproof mussed-up methods for every hair type and length. Get ready to get messy!
Short Hair: Bed-Head Chic
1. Apply some shine serum to your damp locks (we love Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine) followed by two dollops of mousse. Choose a mousse that promotes a strong and prolonged curl, like Garnier Curl Construct Mousse.
2. Flip your head upside down and blow dry your locks at a cool setting using a diffuser or your fingers to scrunch the hair and give it some wave.
3. Flip your head back up and part the hair with a pick.
Medium Hair: Tousled Tresses
The disheveled, messy look is a must-have for ladies with medium-length hair. Also, all hair types — thick, thin, straight and curly — can make this super-easy style work. Score!
2. Use a straightening iron to curl a two-inch section of hair.
3. Fluff the hair with fingers to loosen the waves and muss them up a bit. Spray with a finishing spray
Long Hair: Basic Beach Wave
Long luscious locks, whether thick or fine, are ideal for effortless-looking waves. You can never go wrong with the surfer girl look!
1. Apply a sea salt-infused spray like L’Oréal Paris EverStyle Texture Series Beach Spray to damp locks and blow dry your locks with cool air.
2. Take a 1 1/4-1 1/2-inch curling iron and wrap two-inch sections of hair around the barrel, starting about halfway down the section. Make sure to wrap the hair around the outside of the iron using your hand and holding the end of the hair with the tips of your fingers. Hold for a few seconds until hair gets warm (not hot) and then unravel. Repeat with the rest of your hair.
3. Fluff the hair with your fingers and lightly spray with a flexible hold hairspray like Garnier Fructis UV Color Shield Aerosol Anti-Humidity Hair Spray to set the style.
Which of these undone styles works best for your hair length and type? Tell us in the comments below!
Photo: Joshua M Shelton
Model: Lily Berlina
About the Author:Angela helps inspire and inform the Makeup.com audience by delivering the latest beauty tips, tricks and trends.