Whether you watch awards shows like a normal person or take diligent notes (guilty), we all know the red carpet is where the magic happens — in the form of the best hair, makeup and nail inspo. And if you’re planning out your potential future red carpet debut, we encourage you to check out last night’s looks — especially our favorite three. Ahead, discover makeup, skin and nail looks that we can’t get enough of, including tips on how to get the look on your own from celebrity makeup artists.
Makeup: Lupita Nyong’o
Lupita’s Egyptian blue look was created by celebrity makeup artist Nick Barose. “I wanted to keep the theme of her dress, which was reminiscent of an ancient Egyptian goddess,” Barose explains. “Keeping true to the Egyptians, I wanted to draw attention to the eye with accents of Egyptian blue with subtle bronze tones on cheeks and lips.”
Get the Look:
1. Barose started by brushing Lancôme Sourcils Styler in Translucent to build shape to her brows. He filled with Lancôme Sourcils Gel in Noir to create arches and length, keeping in line with the Egyptian queen theme.
2. Next, he prepped her lids with Lancôme Aquatique in Sienne and then lined her upper lash line with Lancôme Drama Liqui-Pencil in Bleu Magique. He then winged the line up and out to give it a sharp and graphic feline look.
3. He put Lancôme Color Design in It List on the outer corners and in the crease of her eyes. Then with a dampened brush, he dabbed Lancôme Color Design in All Made Up. “I love ancient Egyptian colors of gold and blue; it might seem unusual but it’s very classical.” Barose explains. “Blue also pops against dark skin more vividly than black”
4. For more drama, he lined her upper lashes with Lancôme Artliner in Saphir and then applied two coats of Lancôme Grandiôse onto her lashes.
5. Finally, he prepped Lupita’s lips with Lancôme Absolue Precious Cells Nourishing Lip Balm, lined and filled in the lips with Lancôme Le Lipstique in Amandelle and then topped it off with Lancôme L’Absolu Rouge Lipstick in Henne.
Makeup Prep: Emma Stone
Makeup artist Rachel Goodwin prepped Emma’s flawless looking skin with an array of Kiehls products, including the brand’s not-yet-released Glow Formula Skin Hydrator. Goodwin explains, “I had Emma use Kiehl’s Ginger Leaf & Hibiscus Firming Mask the night before to begin her care routine. Then today, I began by prepping the skin using Instant Renewal Concentrate Mask. I applied Lip Balm #1 to moisturize the lips, then a small amount of Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado to her under eyes.” For a red carpet ready complexion, Goodwin mixed the brand’s New Glow Formula Skin Hydrator with foundation to give her skin subtle radiance.
Nails: Viola Davis
Most of the manicures on the red carpet were understated, but this shade felt special. “The warm terracotta Less Is Aura from Essie’s new Desert Mirage collection was the best beige nude to complement Viola’s rich skin tone in addition to her hot pink Michael Kors gown. For a high-shine finish, we topped the look off with Essie’s Speed Setter,” said celebrity manicurist Christina Aviles.
Hero Image Courtesy Lancôme