While we all have a favorite gloss or shiny lipstick, sometimes, a matte lipstick is the right choice. As the name implies, matte lipstick has no sheen or shimmer, but that doesn't make it any less fun. In fact, if you're not going for the matte look yet, you could be missing out!
Should you make the switch? If any of the following applies to you, it could be time!
1. Your lip gloss fades before you get to work.
Matte shades, like Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited My Dear Matte Collection, always last longer than your commute.
2. You’re about to eat pasta, a sandwich or an apple — but you want to eat your food, not your lip color!
Matte lipstick stays on lips, rather than forks.
3. You can't get enough color.
Matte lipsticks tend to be more saturated, making bold colors really pop.
4. You’re going on a hot date.
If kissing is in your near future, keep the lipstick on you. Try NYX Cosmetics Matte Lipstick in Siren for your next pucker-up.
5. You’re wearing shimmer blush or metallic eye shadow.
Competing for attention can be fun — but not for your facial features.
6. Your dishwasher is really struggling with your glasses.
Lip imprints are cute on occasion, but you don’t want to leave traces on every cup and glass.
7. You’ve been embarrassed by lipstick on your teeth one too many times.
Mattes stay where you put them.
8. You’re a fan of retro beauty.
Pinup girls and leading ladies totally rocked the matte look. A formula like L’Oréal Paris Color Riche Moisture Matte in Red Valentine will give you something extra those glam girls didn't have — soft lips!
9. You’re trying on clothes.
Save yourself from the embarrassment of ruining the store's inventory — or from making a guilt purchase — with a lip color that doesn’t have wanderlust.
10. It’s a blustery day.
Hair plus sticky lips equals a windy nightmare just waiting to happen.
11. You’re going to the beach.
As much as we like gentle exfoliation, sandy lips don't count as cute beachwear.
12. You have full lips and want to try a darker or brighter shade.
Vibrant and shiny lips can be a bit overpowering for you. Try high color, low shine.
13. You have a job interview or major presentation.
You can apply matte lips and forget about them, leaving time and energy for more important things. A bold shade like YSL Rouge Pur Couture the Mats in Orange Imagine will help make your first impression unforgettable — even if you've forgotten about it.
When do you wear matte lipstick? Tell us in the comments below!
About the Author:Our goal is to create a beauty experience that’s personalized, educational and, most of all, fun.