While we love summertime, the summer heat loves to mess with our beauty routine. From melting makeup and greasy skin, to hair that absolutely refuses to behave — summer sure has got its cons. These five summer beauty issues are the worst, but don’t break a sweat — we have some advice that’ll help you keep your cool.
1. Your face literally feels like it’s going to melt off. You just finished your bang-up makeup job, and five minutes into the heat, you feel like wiping the sweat (and makeup) off your face with your sleeve. We get it. Prevent the sticky feel of melting foundation by using a mattifying primer like L’Oréal Paris Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base and keeping your makeup application light.
Go with a BB cream or lightweight and blendable coverage option like Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, add a touch of lip and cheek tint for some color and finish off your summer look with waterproof mascara! And don’t forget the oil-absorbing blotting sheets — the NYX Blotting Paper will keep you shine free without messing up your makeup!
2. Your hair turns into a big ball of frizz. Heat, humidity and hair are just not friends. But, there are a few things you can do to mend the relationship! Like using a smoothing milk, serum or cream to seal out humidity and combat frizz. Try the Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Smoothing Milk on damp hair or the Kérastase Touche Finale on styled hair for frizz control, UV protection and shine. Or keep it in a chic pony or braid to prevent the pouf!
3. Your skin is like, really, really oily. Summertime loves to mess with our skin, but changing up your skincare routine to reflect the high temps can help keep your oily complexion under control. Don’t skimp on exfoliating treatments or cleansers to slough away excess dirt, oil and dead skin cells — we love the L’Oréal Paris Go 360 Clean Deep Exfoliating Scrub with natural apricot seed powder and salicylic acid.
Swap out your daily moisturizer for an oil-free, mattifying one like antioxidant-rich La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat to refine pores and control excess sebum production for a matte finish. If your skin tends to get oily throughout the day and your makeup is taking a hard hit, use a demi-matte finish foundation like L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte foundation — a 24-hour, lightweight and creamy liquid foundation that will keep your complexion clear and smooth through any heat wave.
RELATED: 5 Lazy Girl Beauty Hacks for the Summer
4. Your fake tan looks ... fake. Self-tan season is in full swing and if you’re not doing it right … the world will know. Instead of turning yourself into an orange, streaky mess, make sure you know the rules to sunless tan success. And we’ve gathered them all for you below!
- How to Apply Self Tanner the Right Way
- Our Top 5 Favorite Sunless Tanners
- 5 Ways to Remove Self Tanner Gone Wrong
5. The sun, salt and chlorine are taking a toll on your lifeless strands. It’s not just the heat that’s taking a toll on your poor hair, but also your beach and pool trips. Just like your skin, your hair needs protection from UV rays too — and don’t forget about salt water and then chlorine in pools! Blonde hair gone green? Not a good look. Protect your strands with a waterproof hair sealant like Kérastase Aqua-Seal, so you can spend your summer days outdoors without a care in the world!