It may not be the most highbrow of award ceremonies, but that's usually what makes the MTV Movie Awards so much fun to watch: People aren't afraid to get creative with their makeup and hair. Last night's show, however, was a bit of a disappointment (at least in terms of beauty). With the exception of Katie Perry channeling Smurfette, most celebs played it safe with simple hair and soft makeup. Even the cast of the Jersey Shore looked fairly tame (Snooki without her pouf is like American Idol without Paula Abdul—not nearly as tantalizing). Still, there were some makeup standouts—and I'm not just talking about Tom Cruise in full goatee'd glory reprising his Tropic Thunder character, Les Grossman. Who knew Tom could hold his own again J. Lo on the dance floor? I think that was some of his finest work as an actor.
Back to the matter at hand... here are my five favorite makeup looks of the night:
1. Christina Aguilera. Leave it to Xtina to deliver all-out glamour. Makeup artist Kristofer Buckle created her look (shown above), balancing fierce red lips with porcelain skin and defined cheeks. Kristofer evened out Christina's skin with Lancôme Teint Idole Fresh Wear Foundation and Maquicomplet Concealer. He then swept a soft brown eye shadow (YSL Ombre Solo Eyeshadow in #2 Cashmere Brown) along the crease of her lids and Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Mascara in Excessive Black through her top and bottom lashes (though based on the photos, I'd say she's also got a boost from false lashes). To create the rich red mouth, Kristopher blended Lancôme Le Lipstique lip liner in Rougelle with Color Design Matte Lipstick in Red Haute.
2. Kristen Stewart. The swirl of mossy green and gold shadows around her eyes picked up the tones in her metallic Dolce & Gabbana dress and brought the focus to her hazel eyes. The dabs of peach on her cheeks and lips were just enough to warm up her skin without making her look too girlie.
3. Amanda Seyfried. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear Amanda was wearing the same Maybelline New York lipstick that she wore on this month's Teen Vogue cover (which is Color Sensational Lipcolor in Are You Red-Dy). She looked like a modern-day Grace Kelly, pairing the sheer crimson color with just a smudge of smoky shadow at the outer corners of her eyes and curled lashes. (Her polished hair brought the look together nicely.)
4. Cameron Diaz. Bright rosy lips and flushed cheeks are the perfect choice for a bubbly spirit like Cameron. And by going with a sheer, glossy lip color over an opaque one, the vibrant pink didn't overwhelm her.
5. Jessica Biel. Her choice to go natural impressed me because it was unexpected. We're used to seeing her all bombshelled out, but this look proves she doesn't need much beyond liner on the inner rims of her eyes, black mascara, and a peachy-nude gloss to look stunning. You can even see the freckles on her skin. Adorable!
And for the most daring makeup award, I have to give it up for Tom Cruise. In case you missed his hilarious dance segment with J. Lo, check out the video:
Who do you think had the best makeup last night?
PHOTO FROM TEMPTALIA.COM