Anti-Aging for Your Teens, 20s, and Beyond
Here at MDC, we’re serious about skincare. Our bathroom cabinets are overflowing with creams, cleansers, serums, and scrubs. In the fight against aging we thought it best to turn to the pros. Dermatologist Dr. Marina Peredo, founder of Marina I. Peredo, M.D., P.C. Dermatology and Spatique Medical Spa in Smithtown, NY, got us up to speed on what we need to keep our skin looking youthful and vibrant at every age.
- Your teenage years are all about prevention. According to Peredo, the best way to get ahead of the aging process is to wear sunscreen. Skin tends to be its oiliest at this stage in life, so look for light formulas like gels and powders. Peredo recommends Colorscience Sunforgettable Mineral Sunscreen Brush. The sheer product absorbs oil, applies easily, and even offers light coverage.
- It’s also important to develop good skincare habits: that means thorough cleansing and no sleeping in makeup (doctors orders!). Choose a deep cleanser that takes off every last trace of residue. We happen to love La Roche-Posay Toleriane Dermo-Cleanser.
- In your 20s, keep up the cleansing and sun protection, and take the preventative measures a step further–if you haven’t already, start using an eye cream. SkinCeuticals Eye Cream is a firming treatment designed to combat early signs of aging.
- Peredo notes that it is also a good time to add a little more moisture to your regimen because the skin is becoming less oily. Try a light serum like Cosmetics 27 Essence 27 Bio-Vitalizing Cell Hydrating Fluid.
- In your 30s, the focus should be on boosting cell turnover. Start using a retinol to increase the formation of collagen (which we lose as we age) and even skin tone. Peredo prefers over-the-counter retinols, like SkinMedica Tri-Retinol Complex, because they are less irritating than the prescription alternatives.
- Another effective means of boosting cell turnover is adding a peel like Kiehl’s Over-Night Biological Peel to your weekly beauty routine.
- Don’t stray from the foundation you’ve been building on, but follow the doctor’s advice and add in antioxidants. Peredo recommends using an all-in-one rejuvenating serum, like Dr. Dennis Gross Hydra-Pure Antioxidant Firming Serum, to fight aging on all fronts.
- As skin ages it starts to dry out, so now is the time to turn to heavier moisturizer. Maintain the proper hydration levels necessarily for youthful skin with Kiehl’s Anti-Oxidant Skin Preserver.
No matter what products you find work best for you, it’s important to invest in good skincare. Peredo left us with one final piece of advice: “If you can only afford one product, make it sunscreen.” So take these tips, stock up on sun protection, and put your best face forward for years to come.
What’s your anti-aging secret weapon? Fill us in below.