So you missed your last brow appointment. Don’t fret; neglecting your aesthetician doesn’t have to mean abandoning your brows. Properly shaped eyebrows can make you look younger and more awake, so there’s no excuse not to groom! The secret to a perfectly shaped eyebrow can be summed up in 4 points… or rather 4 lines: the beginning, the highest point of the arch, the end and where it all comes together.
But before you get too comfortable in front of that magnifying mirror, we turned to LA-based freelance makeup artist, Afton Williams to make sure you have all the proper tools to achieve amazing arches…
- The inner edge of your brow should line up with the outside of your nose.
- The highest point of your arch should be where the diagonal line extending from the outside of your nose to the outside of your pupil would hit.
- The outer edge of your brow should taper off at the point where your eyebrow and the diagonal line from your nose to the outside corner of your eye would intersect.
- The bottom of the inner and outer edges of your brow should line up horizontally.
Armed with these tools and tips you can achieve shapely brows, even sans salon.
- Spoolie brush: The spoolie brush is really the unsung hero of beauty tools. It’s a must for separating eyelashes and removing mascara clumps, and you can also use it on your brows to brush the hair up and away.
- Small scissors: After you’ve brushed all the hairs in one direction, snip any strands that are noticeably longer than others. And always cut across the top of the brow, never down. Anastasia Beverly Hills makes the perfect pair of scissors.
- Brow pencil: Before you begin to pluck, give yourself a guide. Fill in your brows with a brow pencil, and pluck away only the strays. One of our fav pencils is the L’Oréal Brow Stylist Custom Brow Shaping Pencil.
- Tweezers: The most important tool is, of course, a sharp pair of tweezers. Lancôme La Tweezer Précise will allow you to pluck with precision just like the pros.
What should we tackle in our next tutorial? Leave your requests in the comments below or tweet us @makeupdotcom with your suggestions!