How to Wear a Statement Eye AND a Statement Lip at the Same Time
A scene-stealing piece should never have to compete for attention – a statement necklace, for example, shines brightly when paired with a simple tee and boyfriend jeans. Add it to your geo-print blouse, however, and you end up with a little too much going on. We apply the same mindset to our makeup – we’ve all heard that you should pick one feature to emphasize when it comes to rocking a statement look. But we here at MDC were never very good at following beauty rules; in fact, we think that sometimes you should have your cake and eat it too. Case in point? This gorgeous look created by makeup artist Tara Shakespeare – it combines a statement lip and statement eye in a subtle, pretty way that doesn’t have us screaming “too much of a good thing”. Here’s how to recreate the look:
1. Create a flawless base for your look by applying moisturizer and a glowy foundation like Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation. Set everything in place with a light dusting of finishing powder.
2. You can’t create a statement look without a good frame – fill in your brows with a soft brown eyebrow pencil like Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil to perfectly complement your statement eye.
3. Apply a sheer, light purple eyeshadow over your entire lid; Shakespeare used one from The Body Shop 4 Color Eye Palette in Smoky Plum.
4. In your crease, apply a metallic purple pewter eyeshadow and blend. Using a thin eyeliner brush, extend the eyeshadow across your bottom lash line.
5. Line your lids with violet shadow-pencil like Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Longwearing Shadow-Pencil in Smoldering Violet. Using an eyeliner brush, do the same to your bottom lash line. Blend out for a smoky effect.
6. Curl your lashes and apply a coat of volumizing mascara.
7. To create a defined statement lip, use a lip brush to line your pout with a matte lipstick in a similar shade to the lip color you’ve selected.
8. Fill in your lips with your lipstick of choice – Shakespeare used Jouer Hydrating Lipstick in Whitney.
9. For the final touch, highlight your cheekbones with a dusting of peachy-pink blush like cult favorite NARS Orgasm.
Would you ever wear a statement eye and statement lip at the same time? Sound off in the comments!
Photos: Joshua M Shelton Photography
Makeup: Tara Shakespeare for Contour Fossa
Model: Brittanie Clay