Whether it’s dull, lifeless locks or frizzy hair that looks as though you rode a tilt-o-whirl before work this morning, bad hair days are bound to happen. But if the fight with your hair is a daily one, perhaps it’s time to look into options for treatment. Sure, it doesn’t feel like you have a problem, but in reality, weeks of coloring and styling are bound to take a toll on your mane at some point — jeopardizing your hair’s health, your relationships, your career ... OK — maybe not those last two, but it’s a serious matter. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, so take a look at your locks and if necessary, check your hair into rehab with our guide.
1. Trim It. You don’t need an expert to tell you that getting a trim will rid your hair of breakage and split ends and allow you to restore the remaining mane to a hydrated, healthy state. You don’t need a major chop — just the ends will do wonders.
2. Cleanse It. Switch to a cleansing shampoo to lift buildup from your scalp. Look for a product that says “cleansing” or “clarifying” — this means it will remove impurities left over from your regular products and leave your hair fresh.
Product Pick: Redken Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo
3. Condition It. A deep conditioning treatment is meant to nourish and restore parched and brittle strands. You can choose a conditioner to apply after washing or for extremely damaged hair, a post-shower hair mask offers major moisture to revitalize your suffering strands.
Product Picks: Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy Extreme Restoration Conditioner, Kerastase Masque Age Recharge
4. Turn Down the Heat. Unfortunately, you can’t expect to repair your hair while damaging it with the excessive heat from your styling tools. Turn your hair dryer and iron down to medium — it doesn’t need to be on the highest setting to be effective — and be sure to use a heat protectant beforehand.
Product Pick: Nexxus Heat Protexx Heat Protection Styling Spray
5. Practice Prevention. Once your rescue mission is complete, prevent future damage to your mane by embracing healthy hair habits, like going product-free every now and then, maintaining a healthy diet and completing steps 1-5 whenever you find yourself neglecting your hair in favor of heat styling and beach days.
Will you be signing up for a hair recovery program? Discuss your hair woes below.