5 Easy Ponytail Hairstyles That Look Harder Than They Are
When you wake up in the morning with just minutes to spare and many tasks to complete (i.e. hair, makeup, sustenance, brief meditation before taking on your busy day, etc.), there’s not always enough time to create a hairstyle that’s totally impressive. It’s easy and non-stressful to throw your hair into a simple ponytail, but it also looks like you’re headed to the gym. Fortunately, with the help of a few of our favorite beauty vloggers, you can learn how to up your ponytail game in just a matter of minutes — with the right technique. So if you’re not sold on the overnight hairstyle game or you just aren’t a fan of the way your hair looks after its air-dried, you should check out the following five easy ponytail tutorials that look waaaay harder than they actually are.
1. To create a textured ponytail...
1. Prime hair with Pillow Proof Primer and blow dry with a paddle brush to make it smooth. 2. Spray Guts 10 at the root area and blow dry it in for a little extra volume. 3. Section out a piece of hair on the bangs side and secure a ponytail. Pinch ponytail to get a little volume. 4. Hide hair elastic by taking a small piece of hair underneath the ponytail, spraying it with Tripe Take 32 and secure it around the elastic. Secure it even more with a bobby pin. 5. Take Iron Shape 11, spray the ponytail and add texture using a curling iron. 6. After curling the ponytail, twist the front right section and twist it around the ponytail the same way you did before — securing with a bobby pin. Spray Powder Grip 03 on the front section before twisting to add texture. 7. Finish with Tripe Take 32 for final control.
2. To create a woven ponytail...
If you’re looking for a tutorial to help explain how to efficiently apply a drawstring pony to short hair, Jodian of The Brilliant Beauty explains how.
1. Add leave-in conditioner to your hair and apply styling gel very liberally to help mold your hair. . . 2. Take two rubber bands and secure your hair into a high ponytail. Continue adding gel until all of the sides of your hair are smooth. 3. Set down baby hairs with gel and consider using dried out mascara in an effort to make your forehead appear smaller. 4. Apply an oil spray to combat any dryness caused by gel. 5. Try on your ponytail and determine which side you want it to lay on. Take two clips and clip both sides and pull drawstring – securing it away. 6. To create the illusion that it’s your hair, take a piece, wrap it around the ponytail and secure with a bobby pin.
3. To get a low, braided pony...
For a look with a little more style, consider this easy, chic braided low pony by Luxy Hair.
1. Split your hair into two sections. 2. With your index finger, grab a small section of hair on the right side and bring it over to the left and on the left side with your index finger bring another section to the right. 3. Repeat Step 2 again. 4. Grab a section of hair underneath the pony, and use this hair to wrap around the ponytail base. Bobby pin this piece of hair into place from the back using two bobby pins.
4. To create a voluminous ponytail in under five minutes...
Vlogger Kayley Melissa transforms a boring, limp ponytail into a voluminous style in 5 minutes flat.
1. Split your hair in half from the ears up, and clip the top half out of the way. 2. Brush the bottom section into its own ponytail. (You want that ponytail to rest right against the part from the sections.) Once it’s tight, secure with an elastic. 3. Split the bottom ponytail in half. Take the top half and hold it straight up and clip a small hair claw clip into it to add volume and width. 4. Let the top section down, and use a hair brush to lightly tease it. 5. Pull the two ponytails together into one, paying attention (in a mirror) to how it looks in front. 6. Secure with a hair elastic, and add one more clip in by separating the top half of the ponytail and clipping it in like you did in Step 3. 7. Take a small piece of hair from underneath your ponytail to wrap around the elastic until all the hair is used up. Pin the end with a bobby pin.
5. For a sleek ponytail
To achieve a sleek ponytail, follow these step-by-step instructions by Alaha Karimi.
1. Run gel throughout your hair, being careful to tame flyaways. 2. Take a comb and part your hair down the middle. Apply more gel if your hair isn’t smooth enough. 3. Pretend you’re making your ponytail, and hold it in place while you use a paddle brush to brush through it and smooth out your hair. 4. Use the coarse side to brush down the front of your hair to smooth away any gaps. 5. To style your ponytail like Alaha Karimi, match your ponytail height to the height of your eyebrow arch. 6. Smooth out the front of your hair again, as well as behind your ears. 7. Instead of using a regular hair tie, use a hair band to ensure that it doesn’t break your hair. Fold the band in two, and then put it in your hair — holding the base of your ponytail tight. 8. Lastly, use more gel and another brush through for smoothing if necessary. Finish with hairspray.