It’s the base of every beauty look and the tool that keeps our confidence in check when our skin won’t cooperate: foundation. As with any beauty essential, sometimes the quest to find the perfect foundation for your skin can leave a girl a bit overwhelmed by options. There are so many different formulas, textures and ingredients out there. Knowing which foundation will suit your skin type best is tough. To help you wade through the choices, we caught up with professional makeup artist Gabriel Almodovarfor his advice on how to pick the best foundation for your skin type.
If acne is a major skin concern for you, Almodovar recommends a medium to full coverage foundation to cover textured skin. When applying your foundation use a “clean brush or a clean sponge every application applying the product in a stippling motion.”
MDC Picks: Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 Sunscreen; Dermablend Cover Crème
Heavy product can settle into fine lines and wrinkles so opt for a light coverage liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer for younger-looking, luminous skin.
To quench your dry skin throughout the day, Almodovar recommends a light coverage, hydrating foundation. When applying your product, use your “fingers and press the product into the skin,” for longer-lasting coverage, Almodovar says.
To ditch the shine, choose a medium to full coverage foundation. When applying your product use a “sponge or brush because using your fingers can transfer the oil from your hands to your face,” Almodovar says.
No matter what foundation you’re using, here are six great application tips from Almodovar to keep in mind.
1. Start with the foundation on and around the nose as that's where most of the redness occurs.
2. Avoid the under eye area, that's where concealer goes.
3. Contour (cheeks, forehead, nose, jawline and temples) with a darker shade in the same formula.
4. If you use your fingers, press the foundation into the skin as much as possible for a radiant natural glow.
5. When using a sponge to apply your foundation, roll with every touch to blend.
6. If you prefer to apply your product with a brush, use small circular strokes to buff the foundation in to the skin.
Have any other foundation questions for our experts? Leave them below in the comments!