There are quite a few beauty blunders out there that drive Team MDC to seek out solutions. From smudged lipstick to blush overload, we’ve got the fix! And although it’s not quite as bad as getting lipstick on your teeth, clumpy mascara is a common (yet easily avoidable!) issue. Prevent the messy spider lashes altogether by avoiding these mascara mistakes!
1. It’s WAY Past Expiration.Once your mascara starts to dry out, the clumping is sure to begin. Replace your tube every three months to prevent cakey lashes or worse — a bacterial eye infection (gasp)!
2. Too Many Coats.Seems impossible, right? We love to layer mascara, but TOO many layers can turn into a clumpy catastrophe! Allow mascara to dry before applying another layer and try to keep it to three coats — max!
3. Your Wand Is Overloaded.If you notice that your wand has too much mascara build up, scrape the brush up against the inside of the tube to remove excess product. Then clean your wand off with a makeup-removing wipe like Garnier Clean+ The Refreshing Remover Cleansing Towelettes. Now, it’s just like new! Remember, a brush full of clumps can only mean one thing — must we remind you?!
4. You’re Not Wriggling Right.When applying mascara, start deep at the base of your lashes and work your way to the tips in a zigzag motion. This will create a tightlining effect at your lash line and create the look of full, long lashes — sans clumps! Want a brush that will do the work for you? Try a pulsating brush like Lancôme Ôscillation Intensity Mascara in Black.
5. Your Lashes Aren’t Prepped.Mascara is much more likely to clump if you still have some on from the night before. Be sure to remove ALL eye makeup before bedtime using an alcohol-free makeup dissolver like L’Oréal Paris Ideal Clean All Skin Types Makeup Removing Towelettes.
6. You're using the wrong formula.
While we love thick lashes, clumpy is not a look we’re fond of. If you’ve been using the same type of mascara and are consistently getting clumps, try a lengthening mascara formulated to prevent clumps and still give your lashes extreme length and curl, like Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill Stretch Lengthening Mascara.
Do you have any beauty tips to keep the clumps away? Let us know in the comments below!