Summer Makeup StylesOctober 17, 2019
Everyone does summer differently. Some of us like to spend all day and night chasing the perfect wave, while some of us like to hang out poolside at an upscale party with a glass of wine in our hand. Whatever your preference, one thing’s for sure: Your makeup routine needs to be locked down and loaded. To help you figure out what products and looks will work best for your summer style, we’ve created a little quiz for you. Get ready to turn up the heat!
- You, your surfboard and anywhere with killer waves
- Wine at a fabulous party with a seaside view
- Getting an outdoor massage at an exotic location
- A beachside BBQ with some live music and good conversation
2. Your summer wardrobe consists of:
- A bikini and a wetsuit
- The entire J. Crew summer collection
- That depends … what country or island am I visiting this week?
- An easy, breezy summer dress, flip flops and maybe a bangle or two
3. Your philosophy on life is:
- “Go big or go home”
- “A lady should always be two things: classy and fabulous”
- “The world is yours to explore”
- “All good things are wild and free”
4. Your go-to summer hairstyle is:
- A slicked-back pony or bun — anything that keeps your hair out of your face
- Soft waves or stick-straight locks — you need to show off your über-chic lob
- A messy bun — it’s fabulous in any country
- Beach waves … duh.
5. Your approach to summer makeup is:
- Makeup? I’m good with some sunscreen.
- Flawless (and contoured) with a pop of lip color
- Keep it basic: BB Cream, facial mist, lip balm and cream blush. Anything that comes in travel-size and will fit in a carry-on works for you.
- Glowing, dewy skin is a non-negotiable.
6. What beverage helps you beat the heat?
- Good ol’ H20
- By day, coconut water (straight from a coconut) and, by night, mojitos!
- A yummy smoothie or organic juice
If You Got … Mostly As: Surfin’ Sister
For you, the extra-long summer days mean more time for you to catch some waves. Your constant water dwelling doesn’t exactly lend itself to a full face of makeup, but you can still look glam while riding those waves! You’re well aware that salt water can leave your skin feeling super tight and dry so make sure to pack a tinted moisturizer in your beach bag to keep your skin hydrated, while giving it some coverage and color. Since SPF is a non-negotiable for long beach days, try mixing it in with your moisturizer before, after and in-between surfing. You can also keep your lips protected while giving them a pop of color by trying a tinted lip balm with moisturizing and protecting properties. Looks like you’ll definitely be making a splash this summer!
… Mostly Bs: Hamptons Hottie
You have a taste for the finer things in life, and the summer months are perfect for indulging these tastes. Who wants to get all sandy and wet when you can be rubbing elbows with interesting people and sipping on white wine spritzers? That’s right, if anyone asks, you can be found in the Hamptons wearing crisp sundresses and kitten heels. And, of course no Hamptons outfit is complete without the perfect makeup. For this understated-yet-fabulous look you go for flawless, matte skin that’s contoured to perfection. For your pop of color you enlist a bright and bold lipstick in a summer-appropriate shade like coral or fuchsia. If you’re really feeling sassy, you can throw in thin, subtle winged liner. You’ll be the cream of the East coast crop.
… Mostly Cs: The Jet-Setter
You’re not one to stay put, especially during the summer. For you, those hot, sunny months are all about chasing after the next adventure, whether it is in an exotic paradise like Fiji or Costa Rica or in a mystical desert land like Dubai or Egypt. Whatever the destination, you’re always game to add another stamp in that passport! For your jet-setting lifestyle, makeup must be very strategic and travel-friendly. You don’t want to weigh down your luggage with all of your makeup faves, but you also don’t want to settle for a less-than-perfect look. So what’s a girl to do? Stick to a routine that will work in whatever climate/environment while letting your natural beauty shine. Keep your face lovely and simple with some no-makeup makeup. The key to rocking this simplistic look is accentuating (not exaggerating) certain assets like eyelashes and brows. Your face should always look like you woke up looking perfect, so a lightweight foundation and concealer duo is key, along with a light cream blush. For lips, just add a light pink or berry-colored gloss and you’ll be turning heads in whichever country you grace with your presence!
Mostly Ds: Boho Beach Babe
You’re quite the free spirit who likes to drink in life’s little pleasures, especially during the lazy days of summer. For you, this time is about enjoying the weather and festivities however you see fit and with the people you love most. You just want to be outside in nature with those who appreciate it as much as you do. That means evening bonfires on the beach, daytime BBQs and maybe a hike here or there (if it’s not too hot). For makeup, you like to glow, glow, glow. You rock the bronzed, sun-kissed skin (sans harmful UV rays) courtesy of a lightweight bronzer, light neutral-colored shadow and a soft peach or nude lip. For a little extra shimmer, you can add some highlighter along the cheekbones, but you’re not one to go overboard. You want your natural complexion to shine, just like you!
Product Recommendations: Giorgio Armani Maestro Bronzer, L’Oréal Paris The One Sweep Sculpting Blush Duo, NYX Cosmetics The Natural Shadow Palette, em Michelle Phan Lip Gallery Creamy Color Classic Lipstick in Nude Lace
Now that your summer makeup plans are set, take a look at some more makeup tips and tutorials! Photo: iStock