Here at MDC, we love calling upon top beauty pros to share advice on everything from hair, makeup and skin care. Today, we are thrilled to have Los Angeles-based skincare expert Stacy Cox sound off on a skin issue that has many of us up in arms: acne.
I think all women have a love/hate relationship with winter. We love the holiday cheer, décor and (of course) the sales, but we hate the not-so-cute effects on our skin and hair. The crisp, dry air has a way of making our complexions look dull and gray. Fine lines begin to appear more defined and pronounced, the ends of our hair become brittle and dead and our palms become prune-like. Pretty picture right? Don’t freak out — there’s hope. If you tweak your beauty routine a bit you can get your glow back to pre-winter status (and leave your pals wondering what beauty secrets you have up your sleeve). I’ve come up with some super-simple tips to incorporate into your regular regimen and help you get that glow back. Get ready to have a mug that’s merry and bright this holiday season.
1. Moisturize and hydrate your skin like crazy. Keeping your skin hydrated is crucial during the winter. There’s a few ways you can do this:
● Pull out that trusty humidifier from the back of the closet, fill it with water and plug it in before bed. Adding moisture to the air while you sleep will help skin to look more dewy in the morning.
● Invest in a stellar body cream or oil. The non-facial skin often gets neglected, when it should be cared for just as much as your mug. Get your hands on a body product like The Body Shop Coconut Beautifying Oil, which is infused with apricot oil and helps soften and smooth the skin.
3. Don’t neglect your locks. Winter weather can take its toll on hair too! Remember to apply a mask to your hair every week. Try a formula like Kérastase Nutri-Thermique, which restores shine to dry, brittle tresses!
4. Get A Facial. This is the perfect jump-starter to better skin, especially if you haven't had one in a while. A good thorough facial rapidly sheds the dead skin from your face and helps get your glow going once again. Don’t have time (or money) for a professional facial? Reap the benefits with an at-home facial!
5. Get the blood flowing to the face. Sometimes, some good, old-fashioned exercise can make all the difference in getting your skin to a better place. In this case, yoga is ideal as the goal here is to detox, meditate and get circulation and blood flow to the face. The rosy flush that results from an hour of yoga usually ushers in a glow right behind it.
Which of these tips will you be trying first? Tell us in the comments below!