Whoever said green was the color of envy clearly never met a blue-eyed babe. The windows of your soul have been envied far and wide for centuries—so much so that colored contacts took off as a result of people wanting to turn their eyes blue. Since we’re certainly not against flaunting what you’ve got, we came up with a simple yet stunning eye look to make those pools of crystal clear fabulosity stand out even more.
1. Prime the eye area—both the lid and underneath the eye--by applying a color-cancelling concealer like Maybelline New York Master Camo Color Correcting Concealer Pen. Green cancels out redness and generally works on all skin tones. Blue neutralizes sallowness and is ideal for fair to light skin tones. Pink brightens dullness for light skin tones (so it’s absolutely genius under the eyes to help you look like you got 8 hours of sleep). Yellow does the same for medium tones. Apricot and Red neutralize dark undereye circles for light-to-medium and dark skin tones. The small applicator deposits just the right amount of makeup, which is key because you want precision when applying to small areas like undereye circles and lids. Swipe the concealer wherever you have discoloration and blend with your pinky, for the lightest touch on this fragile skin. Top with a bit of foundation to smooth out your skin tone and help shadow adhere to the skin for a look that won’t budge all day. Try Maybelline New York Matte & Poreless Fit Me Foundation.
2. Create a strong, matte brow by filling in any bare areas and accentuating their shape with Maybelline New York Brow Drama Shaping Chalk Powder. Pick a shade that is the same color as your brow hair, or if you really want to go bold, try one shade darker. Draw a swipe on the back of your hand to get rid of extra product (you’ll be amazed at how much smoother and more natural the application is if you do this step first). Fill in brows, following their natural shape. If there are any uneven spots, smooth them out with a cotton swab (also great for softening any harsh lines).
3. Using a flat shadow brush, apply a matte brown base color to the lower half of top lids, blending it up to the crease, but not into it. Try the one in Maybelline New York The City Mini Palette in Chill Brunch Neutrals.
4. Buff a burnt bronzy shade just above the matte brown, and up into the crease. Make sure to blend the shadow well so the color transition is seamless. We love the one in Maybelline New York The City Mini Palette in Rooftop Bronzes.
5. Using your eyeshadow brush, softly apply a soft, matte gold into the crease. Make sure to work it into the entire crease and blend, blend, blend for a soft, ethereal effect (also found in Maybelline The City Mini Palette in Rooftop Bronzes).
6. Layer a taupe shadow just above the crease (but not on the brow bone, which should be bare). You want this to be the most subtle of the colors, so use a light touch and blend until it’s barely noticeable (found in Maybelline The City Mini Palette in Chill Brunch Neutrals).
7. Apply a dot of cream highlighter on the inside corner of your eyes (against your nose) to brighten eyes even more. Try Maybelline New York Facestudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter.
8. Go dark and luscious on lashes by curling, then apply two coats of black mascara to the top lashes and one coat on the bottom. Try this technique to make them look thick and long: Hold the mascara brush horizontally across your lashes. Then use a zig-zag motion to pull the mascara through your lashes. Make sure to start as close to the root as possible. If you have thin or light-colored lashes, coat both sides by alternating between looking up and looking down while applying mascara. When lashes are fully coated, they appear to be much thicker. Try Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Curvitude Washable Mascara.
Now that your eyes are Instagram-worthy, what to do with your lips? Since eyes are super matte, go for a metallic nude for a fresh, modern look. Try Maybelline New York Color Sensational Matte Metallics Lipstick in White Gold (a shimmery nude with a rose gold feel, perfect for pale skin), Pure Gold (a true 24k gold gorgeous on warm, olive skin), or Copper Spark (a coppery, rust-infused metallic beautiful on dark skin).